• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monstrous Races in Sigil - Which Ones?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Agamemnon said:
I think the opposite list would have been easier. It basically includes Mercane, Deities and Proxies.
Yeah, that's true. :)

However, I'm interested in races that I consider "Second Tier" populace, given that PHB races and Planescape races are "Common." Who is "Uncommon"?

What types of creatures could one find if one knew where to look? Not unique people, such as "an Azer who works in the Great Foundry," but instead "A few Inevitables can regularly be found throughout the Clerk's Ward where they spend their time interrogating people who loiter near the Hall of Justice."

Drowbane, mon calamari are extinct. They were too delicious deep fried and dipped in a tangy red sauce. Yum! :\

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Ripzerai said:
The "planar commitment" trait from the Manual of the Planes is without question the most pointless, moronic, and fun-destroying rule in the book. It deserves nothing but ridicule whenever it is mentioned. Petitioners will tend to remain in their final rewards/punishments by default, but there's absolutely no good reason to create a rule outright banning them from ever escaping their planes.
Whoa! I completely agree. I guess I have mentally blocked out that 'rule' from MotP. Heck, I've already got NPC's who break this rule, but I ran PS in 2E before this travesty.

Thanks for pointing this out, and good opinions on the common races too.

Ripzerai

Explorer
The creatures from Chapter 2 of the Planewalker.com releases would be the most common in Sigil, I think, if only because they're the most iconic.

Here's a non-racially specific table originally from J. Wright's now-defunct website:

poorsods.jpg

The racial encounter table would be something like this, on a d20:

1-8: Humanoids and planetouched
9-12: Animals and pests
13: Monsters
14: Undead
15: Fiends
16: Celestials
17: Cordants
18-19: Elementals
20: Exotic Sentients

First, humanoids and planetouched:

Most common: Humans, the default planewalking humanoid. Humans often mate with other species, but any single hybrid race is going to be somewhat rare.

Planetouched: Aasimar, tiefling, chaond, tuladhara, zenythri/mechanatrix, shyft, shadowswyft, gloaming, phoera, genasi, mephling, feytouched, krinth, etc.

Other common races: Githzerai, githyanki, bariaur, khaasta, nathri, shad

Rare races: Buommans, elves, dwarves, fensir, gnomes, halflings, illumians, neraphim, orcs, spikers, wildrens, spellscales, mongrelfolk, half-orcs, goblins, kobolds and xill.

Very rare races: Bladelings, dromites, duergar, elans, half-giants, thri-kreen, kenku, maenads, mongrelfolk, xephs, changelings, nezumi, korobokuru, spirit folk, vanara, shifters, kalashtar, inspired, warforged, goliaths, aarakocras, raptorans, catfolk, lupins, diaboli, killorens, centaurs, gnolls, dopplegangers, half-ogres, underfolk, sharakim, sea-kin, dragonborn, half-dragons, azurins, dusklings, rilkans, skarns.

Animals and pests include things like pigeons, large gray "executioner ravens," rot grub swarms, humanoid immigrants from the Material Plane who have degenerated to an animal state due to the stress of their new environment, two-headed Aoskian hounds, Arcadian ponies, cranium rat swarms, giant rats, moon rats, ash rats, elemental vermin, fhorges, bonespears, rasts, ravids. ethyks, gathras and other livestock, creatures corrupted by magical pollution, lost pets, and more. Of course, there will be animals with the fiendish, celestial, axiomatic, anarchic, vivacious, elemental, and entropic templates.

Undead include both creatures of the undead type and other beings who can be easily lumped in with them: wights, ghouls, zombies and skeletons created by the Dustmen faction, vampires and liches living openly or in secret, spectres, ghosts, and wraiths, devourers, visages, atropal scions, entropic reapers, brains in jars, bhuts, allips, hooded pupils, grimweirds, quth-maren, alhoons, cursts, necropolitans, eyes of fear and flame, living creatures who are somehow half-undead, lepers and other living victims of piteous planar diseases, petitioners (lost, refugees, or here on a mission), worms that walk, rot reavers, and ordinary corpses. The authorities of Sigil don't tolerate undead who roam around killing people, but they may tolerate those who behave themselves. The other kind - pure monsters who need to be destroyed - end up in Sigil, too, of course, and cause trouble before someone finally hunts them down. Some may lurk in secret or beneath the city for years or centuries.

Celestials include angels, archons, eladrins, lillends, guardinals, moon dogs, couatls, quesar, ki-rin, opinicuses, hollyphants, lammasu, phoenixes, aleaxes, and risen fiends.

Fiends include night hags, yugoloths, rakshasas, fallen celestials, baatezu, tanar'ri, demodands, marrashi, imps, retrievers, barghests, kytons, and kythons.

Cordants include slaadi, formians, modrons, inevitables, Limbo stalkers, concordant killers, justicators, rilmani, visilights, and maugs.

Elementals include elementals, paraelementals, genies, lumi, sylphs, grues, azers, salamanders, xorns, tsnng, and so on.

Exotic sentients include things like spellweavers, illithids, beholders, grell, tsochar, psurlons, witchknives, cloakers, nagas, yuan-ti, neogi, neh-thalggu, zodars, skindancers, ethergaunts, shadar-kai, nerras, kaorti, zerns, phasms, nilshai, daelkyr, protean scourges, keepers, and other beings who don't easily fit any other catagory.

Last edited:

Oryan77

Adventurer
Ripzerai said:
The "planar commitment" trait from the Manual of the Planes is without question the most pointless, moronic, and fun-destroying rule in the book. It deserves nothing but ridicule whenever it is mentioned. Petitioners will tend to remain in their final rewards/punishments by default, but there's absolutely no good reason to create a rule outright banning them from ever escaping their planes.
Doesn't the PSCS even say that petitioners don't like to leave their home plane because if they die while off of their plane, their soul is forever destroyed? It's been awhile since I've read up on petitioners, but that's how I've always played it.

Ripzerai

Explorer
Oryan77 said:
Doesn't the PSCS even say that petitioners don't like to leave their home plane because if they die while off of their plane, their soul is forever destroyed?

Yes, it does.

It still happens, albeit rarely. A petitioner could be kidnapped, or end up lost, or have a mission that's more important to it than its eternal existence.

Clueless

Webmonkey
Let me know if you run into any troubles with any of those releases - I'm gonna be going through them in the next few weeks to fix up some of the errata we've worked out since they were first released and get artwork in - so let me know if anything stands out. :)

Ripzerai

Explorer
Clueless said:
Let me know if you run into any troubles with any of those releases - I'm gonna be going through them in the next few weeks to fix up some of the errata we've worked out since they were first released and get artwork in - so let me know if anything stands out. :)

"Rebus" is spelled wrong on pages 57 and 58 of Chapter 2. No alphabet mentioned for the yugoloth language, either.

Remove ads