• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook is writing a fantasy novel

Will you pick up Monte Cook's fantasy novel sight unseen?

• Yes

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • No, I will decide after the reviews

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 95 45.9%
  • Who's Monte Cook?

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Poll closed .

MojoGM

First Post
Sure, I buy most novels sight-unseen (until I actually buy them of course)

I never depend on reviews, if I see something that looks interesting I'll grab it. And especially if it is from someone whose work I've read before and enjoyed.

So, yes, when I see it on the store shelves I will grab it and give it a read.

mhensley

First Post
No, I usually avoid gaming related fiction especially if it written by someone who got their start writing games. The only ones I have even half-way enjoyed were a couple of those Rover books by Mel Odom.

Ratenef

Explorer
Having purchased and read his 5 issue comic series - Ptolus City of the Spire, I was terribly unipressed with his story telling and his pacing.

Using that as an example of his writing style, I'm probably not going to pick up any of his novels, unless a friend whose opinion I trust can assuage me of my concerns.

hexgrid

Explorer
Yeah, I'll pick it up it "site unseen," because I'm a fan of Monte's other stuff.

If it turns out to be bad, it's not a big deal, because reading a novel doesn't require much of an investment on my part. I'll just move on to the next book.

ZombieButch

First Post
On the one hand, it couldn't be any worse than Gary Gygax's novels.

On the other hand, it could be nearly as bad as Gary Gygax's novels.

So, no. I'll wait for someone else to be the guinea pig, and even then probably not.

Hammerhead

Explorer
While I'm a fan of all of Monte's game-related material, I don't really think he's the best person to write a good fantasy novel. I probably wouldn't buy it unless the back of the book sounded pretty cool.

Glyfair

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
And I also need to know if it's a stand-alone or the first of a series. I'm so sick of everything being "book one of 247."

I wouldn't mind if fantasy authors would just go back to the trilogies. It seems now even that's rare (or we get series of trilogies). I blame Piers Anthony ;) (One of his book bios says something about his early failures in math manifesting in not putting only 3 books in a trilogy).

As for Monte, I won't pick it up sight unseen. If it looks interesting, I'll pick it up without waiting for reviews. Although I voted no, I think it's probable I'll pick it up.

Last edited:

Remove ads