• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook offers free class from Arcana Unearthed

Morgenstern

First Post
So, you guys spot the typo yet?

Funny how many more spells they have access to, but can't ready the way it's currently written :p.

Anyway, it looks really good. The plothook ability is nifty, and the overall feel appeals to me.

I'll be currious to see their dread counterparts, the Darkbonds, and whether there might be a greenbond PrC that focuses more an the 'red' side of life (animals), though I suppose the totem warrior might fill that need already, in a sort of non-spellcasting way...

BryonD

Hero
Thrommel said:
Nope, you hit it right on the head.

You can get a more verbose description of AU spellcasting right here.

The magic mechanics are really simple to understand but the way the different aspects combine together makes for a very rich, flexible system.

-Thrommel

Thrommel,

The class look quite cool.

Based on these numbers, it appears to be more potent than the sorcerer. I get the idea that this is further balanced by the concept of simple spells, etc.

Is that on the right track?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Not thrommel but that's how I understand it.

Heck even the spllsword class gets access to simple spells so I suspect they aren't high end kick butt spells.

Also save or die spells where virtually removed from all spell lists, so a lot of the high level spell power that I grew to hate just isn't there.

Thrommel

First Post
Hmmm... let me put it this way: You can play the ka-boom sorceror type, but you have to make a choice to be the ka-boom sorceror type.

It's not just an automatic "duh, I take magic missile, fly, and fireball" kind of deal like it is in 3.0 (for SOME people anyhow).

I would say that generally, there's a lot of magic in the game, but magic doesn't dominate the game - if that makes sense.

Let me know if it doesn't.

-Thrommel

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
whydirt said:
From my understanding, it's halfway between the Wizard and Sorcerer. From the total spell list, you choose your Readied spells for the day, and you can cast any of those spells using your actual spell slots.

Pshaw.

My gaming group when I was stationed at Fort Bragg did this back in, like, 1986.

Yet another of my ideas stolen by an Idea Thief.

:D

Particle_Man

Explorer
spiritform?

So is that spiritform ability 1x/day, or does the 1 minute/level duration merely mean that you could go to spiritform for 17-20 minutes, then must go solid for at least one round before you could return to spiritform?

Also, if it is limited/day, can one "spread out" one's minutes (go spirit for a few minutes in the morning, then solid, then spirit for a few minutes in the evening)?

AEtherfyre

First Post
Thrommel said:
It's not just an automatic "duh, I take magic missile, fly, and fireball" kind of deal like it is in 3.0 (for SOME people anyhow).

I would say that generally, there's a lot of magic in the game, but magic doesn't dominate the game - if that makes sense.

I'm very glad to here that.

Remove ads