• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved

argo

First Post
buzz said:
AU had tremendous production values. Sure, it wasn't color, but it was on very high-quality paper, had a totally drool-worthly dual-texture cover,
Very true.

great art, and some of the best graphic design I've ever seen in a gaming product.
Woah now, just hold on a second! I love AU dearly but the interior art is total crap. And by total crap I mean I don't like it personally. I understand the idea of simplistic lines and clean pages meant to ease reading and inspire the imagination, but most of the art in AU looks like unfinished sketches that never saw the light of a rubber eraser much less photoshop. I remember when my friend got his pre-order copy reading through it together and some pictures would make us just stop and ask each other; what the heck is this picture supposed to be? Maybe if we turn it upside down it will look like something? Personally it gave me the impression of an amature production which was, of course, totally incongruent with the finely tuned and balanced ruleset.

I guess I just have to chalk this one up "art is in the eye of the beholder".

Anyway, I have been putting off getting my own copy of AU because I've been leeching off my GM's book, but I think I just mentally reserved $50 in my Feb budget. Go Monte!

Last edited:

shadoe

First Post
I will be getting this when it comes out. I have AU, and I have enjoyed playing it when I can. It is probably my favorite D20 purchase that I have made. :cool:

buzz

Adventurer
argo said:
I love AU dearly but the interior art is total crap.
Considering that there some great Sam Wood pieces in AU, I have to disagree with you. Overall, the art is pretty good.

But when I say graphic design, I'm not talking so much about the art as the layout. The layout and typography in AU is, IMO, gorgeous. I wish more d20 companies could learn the virtue of blank space.

Sorren

First Post
I didn't care for most of the art in AU. Some pieces were REALLY good, but the majority were REALLY bad.

It tended to go from one extreme to the other.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I liked pretty much all the art in AU. :)

$23 for the PDF is certainly not bad; I'll probably get that rather than the printed book, just because I have the previous one. UNless something comes out that has just the new material in it.

TDRandall

Explorer
Monte,

Does "Plus a lot more" mean the the items from grimoire II may see print here?

I want those spells, but I have NEVER found a PDF I get much use from. I have much of the earlier D&D stuff that I couldnt' get my hands on print copy in PDF format, and although purchased and downloaded never got back to actually reading through it. I just like to curl up with a book in my chair - the computer monitor doesn't just work for me in that way.

Oh yes, I regained my sanity enough, and my conniving devious side has kicked in. I have realized I can "save" for this beauty by forwarding my still pristine copy (after I wipe off the drool) of original AU to my sister as a Christmas present. One of the odd benefits of a sibling with the same general interest in RPGs! The other would be actually sitting down and playing a game with her and friends - if she just didn't live 400+ miles away. AFAIK she hasn't glanced in the Malhavoc direction yet so this may tip another buyer into your court. And of course, now you can count one more "pre-sold" on Aracana Evolved too!

Wrathamon

Adventurer
no offense but I think he is just trying to get people to buy the book a 3rd time

AU PDFs
AU 1st Print
AE compiled and revised

to me he is just milkin his fan base for $$$

but to those that want a nicer version of something they already have then you will most likely love this.

To those who didnt buy AU the 1st time then this will be a real nice purchase

For those who bought it all the 1st time it saw print... I feel ripped off. I could have waited and saved a ton of cash and ended up with a better product.

maybe the game store will let me return my books

Let me provide a timeline in hopes of giving some perspective. (I'm not sure of the exact release dates, so please excuse any errors because I couldn't find specifics on some of this on montecook.com. This is all memory.) I'm slanting this a bit to focus on some fan demand issues. This is hardly the whole story, nor am I privy in any way to what Monte and Sue decide about their business. This is a private individual and staunch fan talking.

Dec 5, 2002 - Monte's AU Design Diaries start. Excitement builds. Fans learn that it's going to be a print-only release and start demanding pdfs. Monte and Sue listen to the concerns and eventually announce that there will be electronic editions.

July 2003 (GenCon) AU release sells out in hardcover at GenCon. More books need to be flown in from the printers to meet demand. Midnight fans lobby ENWorld to get AU moved over to the OGL forums. The official fansite, www.diamondthrone.com debuts with thousands of unique IP visits it's first month of operation. Fans demand new material.

August 2003 - Malhavoc releases 3 pdfs, The Way of the Sword, The Way of the Staff and Grimoire, containing most of AU, in response to demand from poor college students, DMs whose players only wanted portions of the rules and those who wanted copy/paste ability, etc.

October 2003 - The AU DMs Screen is released in pdf before hardcover. The Player's Guide included gathers flak from some fans who insist that the additional advice on playing PCs should have been included in AU. Fans start requesting some form of "epic" AU rules.

December 2003 - The Diamond Throne sourcebook is released in pdf and DMs Screen/Player Guide in print. A significant market segment of fans insist that the Diamond Throne sourcebook should have been included with the basic AU book. They ask that it get incorporated into future releases. A different market segment - smaller - points out that they dislike the whole implied setting of the books. See Design Diary I for a discussion of "implied setting." Fans continue to request copies of the full text of Arcana Unearthed in pdf.

Winter/Spring 2004 - Legacy of the Dragons in pdf, Diamond Throne in print. The first printing of AU is completely sold out, and it's now well into its second. LoD is extremely well received. Fans start to ask if Malhavoc will ever put out a color version of AU and subsidiary products.

April/May 2004 - Fans requests for the full pdf of AU are met. (Illegally scanned copies have been around since the book's release. Despite those thefts, it sells.) Fan demand for a compiled AU/DT/Guide continues. Monte indicates that he'll see what he can do. Word spreads about the leatherbound PH edition from WotC that won't correct errata or contain any new material. Plenty of threads start here on ENWorld and other sites complaining about this.

August 2004 (GenCon) - Monte & Sue show some art at Meet Malhavoc Press that hints at Arcana Evolved. The story is scooped in White Wolf Insider, apparently ahead of schedule according to statements by Monte & Mike), and fans learn about AE. (This thread starts.) The book incorporates the items that fans requested, has some epic-level rules, and will come out both in color and in pdf. It will include errata, corrections and updates and include extra material (higher page count) while costing less than buying the three separate prior products.

Present Day

So, to get up on a soapbox for a minute, how is it wrong to operate as a business by giving fans what they want? There was no conspiracy here to "milk fans" of their money. Those who bought AU already have a great product. Some will never buy the new book because they don't want the additional material or the incorporated setting and there will be threads complaining about that. But by and large a whole pile of fans will get what they want sooner than they thought they would get it. This is responding to multiple demands and requests.

Yes, there are a few who bought the AU book in the past month who may want to wait. I sure as heck would because it's only six months to February. But in the meantime, I've gotten well over $30 worth of fun out of my books. I hope everyone else has too!

Oh, and I forgot. Everyone screeched when 3.5 came out without new art. Well, gee, Arcana Evolved has new art. What's not to like? :D

Aaron L

Hero
I never got AU, but I think I'll just have to pick this up when it comes out. AFter all this talk there must be something there.

Remove ads