• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might II: Bloody, Bold, and Resolute

SSquirrel

Explorer
Starman said:
So, what are the "new uses for the Grace/Health system" mentioned in the ad copy?

Things like spending grace for extra movement, re-rolling a move/strength check, recall an already cast and forgotten spell. The last one really fits well for a campaign like Dragonlance where casting spells weakens you physically

Starman

Adventurer
SSquirrel said:
Things like spending grace for extra movement, re-rolling a move/strength check, recall an already cast and forgotten spell. The last one really fits well for a campaign like Dragonlance where casting spells weakens you physically

Interesting. Now I am even more excited about this book.

The Highway Man

First Post
SSquirrel said:
Things like spending grace for extra movement, re-rolling a move/strength check, recall an already cast and forgotten spell.

That's right. Careful though: these are branded as "WARNING: potentially game breaking" in the sourcebook itself.

These are certainly interesting ideas, and they may work great at a particular game table, but one should be very aware of the game-altering properties of such options.

Overall, BOXM2 is totally, utterly awesome, as a source of inspiration at the very least, and as a complement to the original BOXM at best. This is truly great.

Dice4Hire

First Post
In my face to face we have been doing a feat every level for a couple years, and as long as some combinations/chains are kept in check (draconic feats, I am looking at you) it really has had surprisingly little impact with our character's abilities.

The Highway Man

First Post
Dice4Hire said:
In my face to face we have been doing a feat every level for a couple years, and as long as some combinations/chains are kept in check (draconic feats, I am looking at you) it really has had surprisingly little impact with our character's abilities.

I agree. It is also a great boon for players, who really see their capacities evolve level-by-level. It matches the 20-level spell progression extremely well, and makes the whole feel more coherent, with less sub-systems. "A spell level is a character level, "level" means the same. Each level goes with a feat, level=feat gains." and so on.

Technik4

First Post
Interesting. The Double-Feat and Uberfeat concept reminds me of a fellow poster (but who was it? Please report immediately! ) that proposed to implement "feat points" and give feats different values. Toughness (3.0 Core style) could be a 1-point feat, while Melee Weapon Mastery could be a 5-point feat.

I had a system like that a few years ago, though I only went from 1 to 3 points. :)

The Highway Man said:
That's right. Careful though: these are branded as "WARNING: potentially game breaking" in the sourcebook itself.

These are certainly interesting ideas, and they may work great at a particular game table, but one should be very aware of the game-altering properties of such options.

Overall, BOXM2 is totally, utterly awesome, as a source of inspiration at the very least, and as a complement to the original BOXM at best. This is truly great.
Somehow, I feel like now is exactly the time do this. That's why I am not so opposed to trying out Pathfinder with all the extra abilities for classes. Yes, the resulting characters are more powerful, you get game-breaking abilities, but who cares? 4E is coming, and if the game breaks, a new editions is out that can fix everything (until we find the new loop-holes and flaws, off course). Turn 3.x to 11, enjoy, and if it breaks, leave it behind.

Pinotage

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Somehow, I feel like now is exactly the time do this. That's why I am not so opposed to trying out Pathfinder with all the extra abilities for classes. Yes, the resulting characters are more powerful, you get game-breaking abilities, but who cares? 4E is coming, and if the game breaks, a new editions is out that can fix everything (until we find the new loop-holes and flaws, off course). Turn 3.x to 11, enjoy, and if it breaks, leave it behind.

I agree that's it's a good time to do it now, particularly given that Pathfinder is around and does increase power levels in general. I don't agree that people don't care because the new edition is on the way, though. For those that plan to continue playing Pathfinder and 3.5e in general, balancing new ideas to the old system is important. And let's face it, Monte has some really good ideas in the BOEM products, and some that are definitely worth exploring in Pathfinder and 3.5e. Some of the them are powerful yes, but even these can be toned down to make them work with the existing system.

Pinotage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads