(Monte Cook's) Ranger. (Thanks, I've decided)

Which of the following applies for your campaign?

• Monte's Ranger (MR) is fine, but I use the PHB standard.

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • MR is fine, but I use a custom alt.ranger

Votes: 16 13.8%
  • MR is fine, and it is the one I use.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • MR is on the overpowered side. I use the PHB standard

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • MR is on the overpowered side. I use a custom alt.ranger instead

Votes: 14 12.1%
  • MR is on the overpowered side. Still, It's the one I use.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Monte has made a variant Ranger? (check the link instead of checking this)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don't care for the PHB Ranger, MR, or any alt.ranger. WOT woodsman!

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I think the MR is weak.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (just thought I'd put it in to make sure)

Votes: 10 8.6%

Victim

First Post
I actually know someone who thinks (or at least says) that the MC ranger is weak. Of course, I don't think this player understands the value of SPELLS, so he seems to underestimate any spell using class.

Caspiar

First Post
I use the Monte Ranger myeslf, but limit the bonus feat selection..
on his messageboard. JRRNeiklotl posted a list of feats that the Ranger may select from for his bonus feats..... I will modify this a bit when Masters of the Wild hits i think. Here is that list...but so far it has been a success, my players are again playing the ranger.

the list:

Alertness
Blind Fight
Combat Reflexes
Dodge
Endurance
Expertise
Mobility
Spring Attack
Favored Enemy Strike
Favored Enemy Critical Strike
Great Fortitude
Iron Will
Lightning Reflexes
Toughness
Run
Weapon Finesse
Point Blank Shot
Far Shot
Precise Shot
Rapid Shot
Shot on the Run
Quick Draw
Skill Focus (this must be applied to wilderness lore, animal empathy, or a related skill.)

Garmorn

Explorer
I will be using the modifications to the PHB ranger that are published in the Dragon Star book. It adds a few nice abilities to the PHB one with out over powering it.

They added constucts to the favored enemy list.

They also change out the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon fighting for "Special Feats". Sepcial Feats give them Point Blank and Far shot for free as true feats. This is more inline with the setting.

Next they added to new class abilities: Favored Terrain that gives bonuses to some skills when the ranger is in their favored terrain. The bonuse and the number increase similarly but at a different rate then Favored Enemy. The other new one is Pathfinding the give rangers a major edge in traveling any where on a planet.

Silent Stalker

First Post
After looking at lots of Alt.Rangers, including Monte's, I like this one: http://memento-mori.com/d20/ranger.html

It is very customizable(especially with his other document "Get Out of the Woods - Alternate Ranger packages) and nicely balanced.

When you create a ranger(or multiclass into), you pick a specialty:

TWF
Marksmanship
Horsemanship
Nocturnal

the bonus feats and relevant, specialized lore(favored enemy, favored terrain), and spell lists are customizable. He even has mini-domains.

Check it out. Good stuff.

BTW - first post! (longtime lurker, from the www.rpgplanet.com/dnd3e days)

I use Monte Cook ranger with one change. I removed the good reflex save and gave the ranger back his d10 hit dice. Otherwise I have no problems with the class...
I use a modified version of the Explorer class from D20 Pulp Heroes as well, though. You can find a version of it made for the Dragonstar setting on my DS site (link below)...

-Zarrock

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Welcome out of the shadows, Mr. Stalker! :)

Back on topic: I use the PHB Ranger as is, also. Since I judge RPGA events, and like the option of jumping into or starting games anywhere without lots of alt rules discussion, I prefer to keep it simple and allow DMing to keep any possible balance issues in check.

Someguy

First Post
Well, the d8 is a throwback to 1editoion i noticed...

But I like monte's ranger...it seems to be funtional...it's jsut the extra featsI am afraid of...

Remove ads