Monte Cook's World of Darkness

Krensky

First Post
so you have to do 4 Con damage for a Vitae, but when you do you only do 2 Con damage? Um, how do I drain 4 Con but only do 2 Con damage? That makes no sense.

I don't know, reading your quote over it sounds more like: Animals have CON/4 in vitae. Draining a point a vitae does 2 CON damage. CON 12 human would have 3 vitae, draining all three would do 6 CON damage.

Why it's not possible to kill someone with the rules you quoted, I have no idea. I haven't read the book.

Voadam

Legend
Ooooh, good call. I see your point, but that's hardly associated with all ghost stories, or with vampires themselves. Interesting association, though.

It jumped out at me as this morning I was listening to an audio tape on Greek myths discussing the Odyssey and that blood issues in particular. :)
I've gone over it in some more depth, btw, and found some bad math. MC has loopholes in acouple systems he's made now:

"Originally Posted by p73
medium or larger animals are worth one vitae for every four points of Constitution, though each Vitae taken from
them still deals only two points of Constitution damage"

so you have to do 4 Con damage for a Vitae, but when you do you only do 2 Con damage? Um, how do I drain 4 Con but only do 2 Con damage? That makes no sense. Too much coffee, not enough sleep!

I don't have it in front of me to look at in context but I think that is saying the animal has one vitae for every four point of Constitution the animal has. Take one vitae from the animal and the animal suffers two points of con damage. Drain all their vitae and they will take half their con in con damage.

Is that correct?

fireinthedust

Explorer
I don't have it in front of me to look at in context but I think that is saying the animal has one vitae for every four point of Constitution the animal has. Take one vitae from the animal and the animal suffers two points of con damage. Drain all their vitae and they will take half their con in con damage.

Is that correct?

Not sure (I'm not Monte Cook, it turns out, so someone should ask him; maybe he'll reply here, that would be cool).

In context it says that animals have less available vitae in them than humans do.
So you get 1 Vitae for 2 Con drain done, right? But for animals it's 1 Vitae for 4 Con drain done; but the animal only takes 2 Con per vitae taken. That's what's confusing for me about this paragraph.

Otherwise, I've been delving into it and putting together how it works. It's a neat game. I like the race/classes, and I think they have a lot of potential. What would be interesting is applying them to non-humans. Already they assume everyone (even the demons, which is weird) are human: two feats, x # of skills, etc. Kinda like how they do in d20 Modern. If, however, one took away the 3.x human traits (bonus feat and extra skill point per level), and replaced them with, say Elven or Dwarven traits, then have them pick a normal progression (Mage, etc.) I think it would work.
Also the d20 future cybernetics could be added for extra post-apocalyptic fun. Mutations also. Heck, plumbing 3e for anything that isn't class-based would be fine, like equipment and vehicles, and some creatures. Ignoring the SLA's, though, as they're not technically part of the game.

I think I'd like to give it a try, actually! I wonder what the ECL variations would be, between books...

Krensky

First Post
In context it says that animals have less available vitae in them than humans do.

Makes a certain amount of sense.

So you get 1 Vitae for 2 Con drain done, right? But for animals it's 1 Vitae for 4 Con drain done; but the animal only takes 2 Con per vitae taken. That's what's confusing for me about this paragraph.

Um... that's not what you posted from the book said.

It says animals have CON/4 points of vitae and taking one point of vitae from them does 2 points of CON damage.

Remove ads