• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte has left the building:How do you feel about the direction of the game?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
The only reason I even became interested in D&D Next was the fact that Monte was the lead designer. I was perfectly happy playing Pathfinder, which I still am, but with the knowledge that Monte was working on the game made me interested.

Now that he is gone I am honestly a little afraid of where the game is going. Of course the game could still head in the same direction that it was going because I don't know how much of the game has been completed but I am still afraid none the less.

I am always going to stick with Pathfinder but I want D&D Next to a good alternative game that we play and I want it to be what it claimed to be in the beginning. How do you feel?

eamon

Explorer
Monte's name did heighten my curiosity about 5e.

However, I think it's way, way too soon to be worried -- or be happy-- about the direction the game's taking.

There's just no telling what shape the game will finally take.

I'm somewhat relieved actually. The direction he personally described in articles, blogs, interviews and at convention panels was in stark contrast with what I'm looking for out of D&D.

hafrogman

Adventurer
I starting to think that everybody working on any RPG project should be required to work under assumed pseudonyms that rotate every few months so that nobody can ever know who worked on what and instead people are forced to weigh a system on its merits once it's released.

I'm just afraid, honestly. For every person saying 'I'm disappointed, but I'll wait and see", I see another saying "Oh, no Monte? Well that's the excuse I was looking for to discount this edition out of hand." And that kind of approach isn't going to help anybody. Because people on the internet (or anywhere else I suppose) are more than happy to vilify something they've never seen, and the more they do that, the more people they convince that they're right. (I don't need to look at 5e myself, all these people online said it was terrible!) And the more that happens, the more the edition fails not on it's own merits, but on the strength of the animosity it produces.

So I'm afraid. I'm afraid that in a year and whatever when 5E comes out, people will open the book, get to the title page and then stop reading.

gweinel

Explorer
You can always follow Monte if you want.
I ll do it. He is responsible for some great works outhere (like planescape).

And a bit of gossip which this might mean something or it is just pure coincidence: According to Monte's tweet, yesterday had a dinner with Eric Mona (Pathfinder). :)

Scribble

First Post
RPGs are a team effort. To think there is one guy there fighting to make it something you want vrs all these other guys wanting the opposite for some reason is silly.

They're going to produce a game they think people will enjoy no matter who's at the helm. The added public play-test means we also have input into it as well. So if it's a game that ends up not top your taste, it's partially your fault.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
My interest in 5E is the exact same post -Monte as it was pre- Monte. Monte is one man on a team. There will be a public playtest. I can decide and respond based on the actual game as opposed to studying the entrails of the designers. Hmmm, I may have said too much.. Look! A flying monkey over there!

Hal G

First Post
I like Monte, both personally and professionally but remember this:

1) He was there for 6 months and if you are a fan hope his influence will be kept

2) There are a lot of other talented people working on this, Cordell, Mearls, Thompson etc....

I am waiting to see.

Remove ads