• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte's 3.75? (A sequal is on its way)

Starman

Adventurer
Matrix Sorcica said:
Okay, I'll bite. Would you care to elaborate that?

Never take the troll bait! Didn't your mother teach you anything? :p

Some people think 4E more closely resembles CCGs or MMORPGs than a true PnP game. How's that for abbreviations?

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Good for Monte. I'm incorporating more house rules myself. Now that I'm sure I'm not upgrading, I can now work to implement changes I have wanted for a while without worrying future conflict with the new edition of DnD.

DonTadow

First Post
Starman said:
Never take the troll bait! Didn't your mother teach you anything? :p

Some people think 4E more closely resembles CCGs or MMORPGs than a true PnP game. How's that for abbreviations?
No troll, no bait, that's why I"m in the 3.5 forum. Experimental Might resembles an advancement of 3.5, not a new system and personally, I think 3.5 better conveyed the RPG elements I enjoy. Combine the material here with Mearl's Iron Might book ,and you got a pretty good complete system to run a game off of.

The spell system is nice, as well as the seperation of HP. I also really enjoyed the mechanics of the newer spells. I also don't have to throw away all my books as there is a guide for converting classes and spells. Very nice touch. After 2 weeks with this book, I"m convinced Monte has made a masterpiece. I'd say it's D&D 3.99

Starman

Adventurer
DonTadow said:
No troll, no bait, that's why I"m in the 3.5 forum. Experimental Might resembles an advancement of 3.5, not a new system and personally, I think 3.5 better conveyed the RPG elements I enjoy. Combine the material here with Mearl's Iron Might book ,and you got a pretty good complete system to run a game off of.

The spell system is nice, as well as the seperation of HP. I also really enjoyed the mechanics of the newer spells. I also don't have to throw away all my books as there is a guide for converting classes and spells. Very nice touch. After 2 weeks with this book, I"m convinced Monte has made a masterpiece. I'd say it's D&D 3.99

Oh, I wasn't really being serious or anything. I haven't had a chance to really dive into the BoXM, but I also really like what I've seen. I think 4E has some intriguing elements and some that I'm not sure about, but I'm going to withhold judgment until I've got the books in my hands.

Harr

First Post
I bought this thing, read it, thought it over, and whie I like it, I don't really see what the big deal is.

A huge chunk of the book is taken up with spell descriptions and alternative powers for some classes similar to PHB2. What's left is given to consolidating a few skills (Hide and Move Silently into Sneak, etc), everyone gains a feat every level, the 20 levels of spells, and the hit points thing.

Don't get me wrong, they're fine house rules. I'd use them. But I have trouble seeing the parallel to anything 4e, or to anything that could replace 4e, beyond the most fleeting and general of comparisons. SWSE was a lot closer to the mark, IMHO.

Last edited:

DonTadow said:

You can do better than that :)
You're really not elaborating on why 3.5 is more of a "rpg game" (roleplaying game game :p )

DonTadow

First Post
Matrix Sorcica said:
You can do better than that :)
You're really not elaborating on why 3.5 is more of a "rpg game" (roleplaying game game :p )
Hahaha, not even falling for that one. I'll say that it has more rpg elements I enjoy and leave it at that. 4e may have rpg elements but from what i read i would not enjoy them.

One of the biggest things about d and d is casting spells, so a good portion of the book covers the changes in the spells, the changes in the spell casting and the changes in the spell classes. The feat, poison and leveling rules are also pretty cool. The diciplines are very well thought out as well.

Though, if you're looking for a complet esystem, you got to combine it with the book of iron might which introduced iron heroes like maneuvers and stunts for martial classes.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Monte Cook has announced in his blog that he is doing a sequal:

So one month ago, we released Book of Experimental Might....Well, the response was pretty overwhelming for our little ebook... So much so that I thought it would be fun to do another one. A smaller one. The idea came from a few people who liked BoXM but wondered why there was so little in there for non-spellcasters, particularly fighters...
I'd been kicking around ideas for scalable feats for quite a while too, and so I thought I'd play around with some fighter-focused ideas....I'll be discussing some of the material that will go into Book of Experimental Might 2, or whatever we'll call it, a bit later.

There is more in the blog, including some links to related posts.

Remove ads