Mooching

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok. When I was hosting I quit buying into the pizza fund. By the numbers I could do better going to store before hand. As host it varied. Always popcorn, butter, sweet tea, celery sticks, and water. On payday weekend some cheap chips, maybe beef stick, or dinner. Dinner could be baked chicken, or spaghetti.
As I got older when not hosting, I bring cheap chips which I would leave behind, and some times celery sticks when I was worrying about weight.
At the game store we are generally all on our own but sometimes a player will buy me a soda. Some one may bring chocolate. Or a $5 to $6 PIZZA.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
DM'ing at a game store, we would alternate: one week everybody was on their own.
For the other week we would chip in for -a big bucket of chicken -or- a box of tacos -o-r lots of dollar-sale burgers -or- whatever- (not pizza always!) to be brought in next week; usually the buyer would show up late but laden that session.
"Who is the buyer" rotated but I never was it; I had to set up for the game.

Mallus

Legend
I haven't hosted our campaign in a several years now. So when I get together with my friends to game, I'm a guest and try to bring the host something. Or a bigger something if I didn't the previous session. Wether or not I'm DM'ing doesn't factor in. The only thing that matters is if I'm a guest in someone's home.

It's usually a bottle (or two) of wine. Sometimes it's bourbon or rye -- and that's gone spectacularly badly on occasion.

The hosts always put out a spread, even when we order out. They really love entertaining.

For a long time, I was the DM and not the host. Three of the players lived together, so that made sense. But after a while, some of them moved out and I decided that having a 40-minute drive on top of all the prep work I had to do was just adding an inconvenience to me, so I started hosting.

I don’t really get bent out of shape if people don’t bring food or snacks. But if you never bring stuff and then hoover the food or complain when a particular item isn’t on the menu, that’s just getting rude.

Rarely do I not have a game where the GM is also the Host.

dbm

Savage!
In our group I host as my house is centrally located and we have the space available. We rotate GM duties between a core of about two-thirds of the group, and one person might GM for several months at a stretch if their campaign has legs.

We play 10 hr sessions every third weekend, that works for us in terms of giving a reasonable about of game time per month whilst minimising the impact on personal lives. We all work, have partners and most have kids.

So we bring snack that get eaten during the game and tend to get takeaway for dinner. Everyone contributes snacks to a greater or lesser extent. I may bring a little less but still pitch in. So does the GM. We all chip in for pizza or Chinese. For some reason we've never been a group that has alcohol at the gaming table.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I host for the game I DM. No one is expected to bring snacks for other people, generally everyone supplies their own food (we all have different dietary issues). But sometimes I'll buy gluten-free pizza for everyone or someone will bring snacks for everyone.

Most of the games I play in are at gaming stores and everyone just brings their own food.

S

Sunseeker

For a long time, I was the DM and not the host. Three of the players lived together, so that made sense. But after a while, some of them moved out and I decided that having a 40-minute drive on top of all the prep work I had to do was just adding an inconvenience to me, so I started hosting.

I don’t really get bent out of shape if people don’t bring food or snacks. But if you never bring stuff and then hoover the food or complain when a particular item isn’t on the menu, that’s just getting rude.

Sure, and I understand that some people are young (under 18) and don't have their own cash and some people are broke. BUT, my totally dirt poor friend almost always cooks brownies or cookies for the group. My just-turned-18 player brings like, $20 worth of soda to every game (which we never drink all of) and my 15-year-old player is ALWAYS willing to help cook or clean up with me.

There are plenty of ways to contribute without actually bringing money or snacks. And honestly most people do. I haven't met many players who just show up, character sheet in hand, expect to be entertained as though they had just got into a movie for free and then breeze out the door at the end of the session. I would think, if those people exist, they'd get a reputation pretty quick for it.

Sadras

Legend
I DM and host 95% of the time - I provide the coffee/tea and get usually get dogs for the afternoon. On occasion my awesome wife will cook up something great for us.
Thankfully I have a decent group of persons who all contribute in some small way (crafting tokens, drinks, chips...etc) - its the necessary cleanup afterwards (dishes and floor) to appease the wife that is the headache :p

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Only local game I'm in, we play at a bar and the GM usually springs for my dinner because I am poor.

If I start running a game there, the players covering my dinner is going to be a condition.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
If the host doesn't cook, which he does 50% of the time, we all spring for Pizza if that is the food choice. Though we have some shiftless deadbeats always sponging off the rest.

Last edited:

Remove ads