• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moodsetters?

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
What kind of "tools" do you you use to set the mood in your game sessions?

Examples:
-Music
-Lighting
-Really scary costumes (like clown masks. *shiver*)

And how do you use them?

Just wanted some tips

Emiricol

Moodsetter: I buy three large pizzas prior to everyone arriving - but all three have anchovies on them! Boy, nothing like anchovies to set the mood :)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Firstly, Happy B-Day, Mister Tealeaf! :)

Depends on the group. I've played or DMed a few and it's always unique. Lighting changes tend to work better with groups that are more role-play heavy and less rules conscious (or know them very well). As long as you don't have a lot of paperwork, looking up rules, and the need to see dice, you could even turn the lights off entirely.

Music, too, can be a distraction, though some of the groups in which I've been enjoyed Mannheim Steamroller, Jetro Tull (he's good! ;) ), Celtic Music, Madrigals, Gregorian Chants, or things like that but always softly in the background.

Haven't seen much on the way of costumes unless at games at GenCon. I did know a guy who always wore a heavy cape, in the winter, instead of a parka or something. He didn't wear it inside the house, though.

Anyway, I hope you read this tomorrow and are out having fun tonight! :D

omedon

First Post
Happy Birthday!

We used to have a candle that we lit before each game. We used the same giant candle each time. It lasted a couple of years until it finally died out. Then we bought a new one, but the whole ritual kind of went to the wayside.

Since we left Highschool we can rarely organize a game anymore; everyone is too busy.

Last edited:

KnowTheToe

First Post
5 pitchers of margaritas usually does it. She tends to lower her defenses by then.

Oh, you mean the game. Disregard the drinks (It really does work though).

I grab some characters sheets, a few pencils, some dice, a few classes full of soda or pop, (whichever you feel most comfortable with) a rulebook or two, a bag of chips and finally a few friends. After all that I am usually in the mood to game. Go figure!

When I play, we don't normally do much in terms of mood. When we do, it's usually just my tone of voice and lighting with occaisional music. Tonight I know I freaked out my players quite well just by the way I was talking (and the fact that we were playing in my friends house which is by all accounts i've heard, haunted). Soft music is good, and candlelight is fun--what also is fun (though hard on the eyes after while) are blacklights.

Remove ads