• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Moon Druid in Lost Mines of Phandelver

Gadget

Adventurer
The easy fix is to push the CR 1 (this is the one with the bear and the wolf right?) beast form back a level or two and only allow 1/2 CR beasts instead. Problem solved. Most people seem to admit that the problem, if you think there is one, largely goes away by level 5 at the latest. Let them only get those forms at level 4 instead of level 2 and things are fine.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
The main issue I've personally seen with the Moon Druid has been more that they effectively have many more hps than other characters in the 2-6 range rather than any incredibly blatant overshadowing. (Which is not to say that the latter doesn't also exist...just that it's not so obvious). One easy change that I think keeps things fun and contributing for all concerned would simply be to House Rule that wild shape resets on a long rest rather than a short rest. I'm half convinced that may have been the original intent, but...YMMV.

Last edited:

Werebat

Explorer
If I were to make any change at all that sounds reasonable, it would be the CR 1/2 until level 4, but that's it, and even that's not needed. As long as you enforce existing restrictions (like the animal you've seen, which it seems a lot of people ignore), then I really don't see how or why you'd need to make any other changes.

Without the houserule that a druid has to have seen the animal AFTER gaining the wild shape ability, you'll have a charade of every single druid character's backstory involving an encounter with a bear (and possibly a giant crab locked in combat with a giant octopus while a giant spider watched from its web).

However, the limit of 1/2 CR until level 4 would largely resolve that issue if the DM just limited animals seen in the past to mundane ones like bears.

Then again, Circle of the Moon sure seems derivative of lycanthropy... What if such druids were limited to taking the forms of things whose flesh they had personally consumed? Probably too restrictive, but you can't argue that it isn't "flavorful".

One way to temper things is to insist that the wild shaped druid communicates only in grunts and snuffles whilst in beast form. Helps limit tactical play...

Cernor

Explorer
One way to temper things is to insist that the wild shaped druid communicates only in grunts and snuffles whilst in beast form. Helps limit tactical play...

My DM does that! In Giant Spider form I've yet to go full Charlotte's Web for the sake of communicating messages, but I've certainly been tempted to...

jgsugden

Legend
Ignore levels 1 and 2 when it comes to worrying about balance. If you blink, you'll miss them zooming by. If the druid steals the show at level 2, it isn't that big of a deal because it only takes a few hours of gaming to reach level 3. I ran LMoP and the combat time between level 1 and 2 was ~ 2 hours. Level 2 to 3 took a little less than 4 hours of combat time.

As for level 3 - You have an AC of 11 (16 with Barkskin while concentration lasts). You'll attack twice: +5 (d8+4 pierce) (avg 8.5) and +5 (2d6+4) (avg 11) (total for both of 19.5). You'll have 34 hps in that form and be large.

In the end, I don't think it is so overpowered that it needs to be worked around.

A point buy 3rd level 17 strength great weapon fighting vengeance paladin in Splint is AC 17, will have ~ 24 hps and will be able to hunter's mark and attack with an average damage of 15.5 with a +5 attack bonus. If he has a +1 weapon, that grows to 16.5 damage and +6 to hit, closing the gap between the bear and the paladin at level 3.

You're a bit ahead of the curve, but it isn't ridiculous - and you could easily find yourself going down fast with an AC of 11 if you can't cast barkskin or lose your concentration. Further, your advantage goes away pretty darn fast as the true melee classes begin to find their feet at 5th level. It also is a bit of a problem if you have to do multiple battles over a few hours and the group does not have a great way to take a short rest to replenish those expended wildshapes.

Authweight

First Post
My honest opinion: just don't let people play moon druid. My play experience, and that if my friends, is that it is extremely overpowered at low levels. You could try and balance it, but then you're never sure if you've gone too far or not until you've played it. I would just tell prospective druid players to stick to the circle of the land and everything will be just fine.

If someone absolutely insists on playing a moon druid, I would do one (but only one) of these things:

1) make it twice per long rest instead of twice per short rest.

2) make it once per short rest instead of twice.

3) Push back the CRs they can turn into by two levels, have them start at CR 1/2.

3 is the heaviest nerf IMO, while 1 and 2 are roughly and are somewhat lighter. These are all rough eyeball calculations though, so take them with a grain of salt.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads