• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moon men

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
EricNoah said:
I think I need to give them some kind of cheesy firearm -- maybe something that shoots a lesser orb of electricity or something like that. Maybe something that has a blade on it and can double as an axe or polearm?

Ooh, maybe they should be mechanical moon men -- clockwork xill??

How about ethergaunts? I think they already have some kind of "techno" weapons.

JayBrickwall

First Post
How about a VERY small population of "living" moonmen who make clockwork-mechanized moonmen to be the servant class. However, the only way to animate the clockwork ones, is on the peak of the earthbound tower in the reflected light of their home orb (the moon).

That would give you two different CL's (if you will) to play with, and a neat "zombie awakening scene" without, you know... zombies.

And if the mooncalf is necessary, it could be that there *IS* a place on the moon where they can animate their mechanized ones, but if they need a certain "kind" or over a certain number, a mooncalf is a byproduct of the ritual, therefore making them more inclined to come down to "earth" to do their mass-raising.

Just ideas... :)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
Is there a good critter that's not already a humanoid that might make a super-cool moon man?

Otyughs. Tentacled fanged monstrosities that speak with a cultured Bostonian accent.
Giant Centipedes.

Stormborn

Explorer
EricNoah said:
I think I need to give them some kind of cheesy firearm -- maybe something that shoots a lesser orb of electricity or something like that. Maybe something that has a blade on it and can double as an axe or polearm?

Ooh, maybe they should be mechanical moon men -- clockwork xill??

Psiforged (Magic of Eberron) but depecited as clockwork with numerous embeded crystals. Other encouters can include true constructs and maybe some minor abberations that are 'native' to the moon.

These Psiforged are the creation of a great Machine-God (maybe even the moon itself, or a single city/colony on its surface - the remains of some ancient race) which, before it went to sleep "to dream the great machine dream" created the psiforged to watch over it and the inhabitants of the nearby world. Periodically these beings come down and take samples of various species to determine their threat level. The curiosity of the psiforged have gotten the better of them, however, and they have granted several of the specimens immortality, while grafting strange limbs and devices to them. These prisoner/guests can make an intersting roleplaying counterpoint to the monomaniacal psiforged. Make one a dwarven cleric of Mordain (or your equivalent) that has been there for a millenia and slowly been reborn with numerous constrcut grafts. He is convinced that their god is simply an creation of Mordain and leads a rebellious schism that attempts to "resuce" and recruit the PCs.

EricNoah

Adventurer
freyar said:
How about ethergaunts? I think they already have some kind of "techno" weapons.

I think I sort of had them in my mind but I think they're going to be too powerful for the PCs. But that's the idea!

EricNoah

Adventurer
JayBrickwall said:
How about a VERY small population of "living" moonmen who make clockwork-mechanized moonmen to be the servant class.

Ooh, you gave me an idea ... mechanical on the outside, with an ooey gooey center (i.e. a tiny living creature inside driving it/controling it).

EricNoah

Adventurer
Stormborn said:
Psiforged (Magic of Eberron)

Hmmm, don't have that book, but do have a psionic PC in the group. I should look that direction too...

Actually, he specializes in astral constructs. All along I have had the idea that the tower would exude an "aura of disobedience" that would allow his astral constructs to try to free themselves from their master's control. Maybe the astral goop gets infected when it is conjured or whatever.

JayBrickwall

First Post
EricNoah said:
Ooh, you gave me an idea ... mechanical on the outside, with an ooey gooey center (i.e. a tiny living creature inside driving it/controling it).

But instead of ooey gooey... how about the "pillars of silvery light that cause Wisdom damage if you look at them too hard. Voices like old-time radio heard at the bottom of the sea." (per WayneL)

The men themselves CANNOT manifest here on earth, and come down in their "robotech mechs" but instead of a corporeal body living and breathing inside, they are ghostly, incandescent "psi-archons" pulling the meat puppet strings.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads