• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MoP Rejection Letters are going out.

Wraithdrit

First Post
The 500+ aspiring authors that all sent in to WotC with submissions for the Maiden of Pain book have started to receive rejection letters. One lucky author will soon know that they are getting a book deal, if they don't know already.

To any ENworlders out there that threw their submission in the pile, good luck! I haven't gotten a rejection letter yet, but I live across the country from WotC.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
Yeah, when I get it, I'm going to frame my rejection letter.

I did my sample chapter in media res which in hindsight was probably dumb. After belated research into the book writing buisness, I've found out that the publishing companies like the first couple of chapters, not the middle ones.

i suk.

Last edited:

Wraithdrit

First Post
Really? I had never heard that. I picked the end of act II for mine since it was highly charged, action packed, had character development and good dialogue opportunities, etc.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
alsih2o said:
someone define in media rews for me please?

It's latin for "in the middle of things" (roughly). It's often used when you come into a story in the middle of the action, not having seen what has led up to that point.

alsih2o

First Post
Greatwyrm said:
It's latin for "in the middle of things" (roughly). It's often used when you come into a story in the middle of the action, not having seen what has led up to that point.

thanks! i use that all the time, and didn't know it :)

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
"In the middle of the action"

Remember the original Star Wars movie? With the Imperial Destroyer coming up on Leia's ship. You weren't introduced to the characters or given a specific idea of what was going on. Just a great big ship beating the snot out of a tiny little ship. The more recent Kill Bill also starts this way.

As a counter-example, look at The Phantom Meanace (IF YOU DARE!!!!) All the characters have more formal introductions.

One isn't necessarily better than the other. Some stories are better when you introduce the characters, others aren't. I prefer it, but mostly because when I write I'm not good at starting things up. So I just skip ahead.

edit: Greatwyrm's web-fu is faster than mine. I am but the pupil, he is the master.

Last edited:

Remove ads