• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mordenkainens Magnificent Emporium saved by last minute adventurers?

Marshall

First Post
Yeah, I just disagree that this is the case. There are as many traps inherent in the original 4e magic system as there are in the rarity system, but the rarity system has fixed a number of problems.

1) You noted above that there 'very few items' that are a problem There's a good reason for this, all the ones that were a problem were nerfed practically to irrelevance. The original system left VERY little room for developers to work in, it was a very constrained design space. Every item needed to be made such that any number of cheap copies of it wouldn't cause an issue. The result was bland items.

Yeah, No. Thats the devs reasoning and its completely untrue. The design space 'created' by rarity has been there all the time. Daily Item Power limits worked just fine. The biggest problem with magic items pre-rarity is that they arent worth the slot/gp/daily item use to keep around.
Post rarity hasnt changed that at all.

2) Another constraint on the design space was the requirement that daily item uses be restricted to a small number. This means that players don't really have the option to use daily item powers which are not competitive. Only a narrow range of daily item powers are thus viable and many interesting powers which would be somewhat useful if allowed once per day are simply ignored because they now have to compete not only with other items that could go into the same slot, but the daily powers of ALL other items the character might have. This is too constraining.

Nope, this is another of the gross mis-understandings of the system. Action Economy is King. Spamming low-level daily powers was never as effective as just using character powers of your current level. The only thing rarity did was gives the Devs an out to not balance those powers.

3) From a fluff perspective you can't easily achieve a setting where magic items aren't a commonplace commodity. Higher level PCs can simply churn out 100's of instances of lower level items.

Sure you can. Time. High level PCs, and specifically PCs with Ritual Casting, have better things to do than making Hedge Wizards Gloves over and over again.

The original system thus really only catered to a very narrow range of possibilities in any logical fashion. It also only allowed for a narrow and bland range of item designs and almost inevitably resulted in most PCs filling their slots with a few fairly optimal choices, leaving the rest as "stuff we didn't really want, but the DM gave it out in treasure, so we'll make do".

Untrue. Thats just what WotC chose to publish. Staff of the Magi could have been released last spring and caused exactly no problems with the system despite it being classed Rare now. No, the only problems with the magic item system was the refusal of the designers to let low level options go obsolete. A +1 Sword is cool at 1-4, a +6 Sword is boring at 26+. There is no reason that a Heroic Flaming Sword should have the same powers as the Paragon or Epic Flaming Sword. Theres plenty of design space available between at-will, encounter, daily, level, tier, properties and the infinite combinations there of. Rarity is just lazy design work.

Magic Items are in player control. They can craft them, and the (terrible) default suggestion is for players to make wishlists and for the DM to pick items from these wishlists. Magic items are also essential to many characters, and (together with feats) one of the few area's in which 4e PC's can really be customized.

With the rarity system, all this is essentially unchanged, except that the item pool becomes bland and biased towards essentials classes, and that older books are worth less.

There are alternatives, and I'm sure your games are quite fun, but wishlists and fairly detailed player control of items are not unusual in by-the-book 4e.
I read your magic item randomness chart, and i remember liking it... but what it lacks is a list of items you find... or i overlooked it...

I want a list that says:

1 - bag of holding 50lbs
2 - gauntlets of ogre power
3 - magic weapon +1 roll on list xxx

List xxx

1 - magic fullblade
2 - magic executioners axe
3-50 - magic long sword

I know that wish lists are RAW, but it was one of the things I am clearly opposed to. I thought about the control freak thing... and yes, a DM needs some control over the game, as he is basically laying out the story to tell...

I however like randomness... random items, random encounters, and player maybe even having to retreat, because they are not equipped to deal with a challenge, just to come back later... I can accept different opinions, but this is what makes an RPG fun for me...
dressing up an optimal character... not really... it makes the power gamers even more powerful...

There may be exceptions to the rule, some character concepts could very well be built around special items... but it needs to be a character concept first...

Damon_Tor

First Post
Based on the timing of this decision, I'm assuming this book was re-scheduled because another book was canceled, namely the Neverwinter Campaign Guide, which was itself canceled because the sale of Cryptic to China (while Atari remains the licensee of the D&D IP) means the Neverwinter MMO is vapor.

We'll see if I'm right.

Balesir

Adventurer
Here's the thing man. Neither DMs nor players are perfect in any game. DMs however have a vast array of ways in which they can already screw over players. EVERYTHING YOU DO as a player is effectively at the option of the DM.
So, by that argument, the DM should just design the characters for the players, because everything they do is at the DM's discretion? That's not a game I ever want to play (including running it). The game works best when both tasks and power are shared; magic item selection is ultimately best assigned to the players, because thay are the 'customers'.

It is silly IMHO to imagine that somehow because by default you're allowed to make vorpal swords that this is an amazing empowerment of the player. It isn't. It is just an annoyance to the DM.
It's not "amazing" - it's just logical and beneficial. How is the ability for a character who has reached level 30 (and is thus virtually a demi-god) to make a Vorpal Sword any sort of "annoyance". Great heavens, if I find myself wanting to control and limit thirtieth level characters I hope someone shoots me.

I'd be perfectly happy to say it is 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other except we've already outlined all the substantive material ways in which rarity actually improves the system IN PLAY every day.
I haven't seen one instance when item rarity would have improved my game one iota. If you have specific examples, please relate them. I'm happy to examine ways in which the pre-rarity system has flaws, but saying that these will be fixed (or even ameliorated) by dumping the control (and responsibility) onto the DM is a very different thing.

Actually I haven't even touched on 3/4s of its benefits but I kind of figure I don't even really need to do so.
I see a few flaws with the original system, but I don't see any benefits so far revealed of handing item creation almost entirely to the DM, whatsoever.

In short, who gets to decide which items are going to be crafted by default is simply a preference.
Yes, it is. But there are only one set of people who are going to decide which items will be desired and used, and that is the players. It seems simply logical, to me, therefore, that the same people should control item creation (within the limits of level and resources).

If one rule allows the item subsystem of the game to function in a much better way than from a game designer point of view that is the way that it needs to work. From a standpoint of preferences you're never going to please everyone, but you can at least provide a game that is most mechanically flexible and provides the widest variety of options.
Aside from giving the designers license to be lax and lazy, what benefits does the rarity system bring? What puts the real edge on design in the "real world" is the mechanisms of the market. In D&D, the players are that market. The requirements of the "manufacturer" (in this case represented by game balance) set the price demanded, but the market sets whether the item at that price is a winner or a loser. This mechanism provides discipline to the designers; lack of design discipline may be easy for the designers, but it's by no means "better".

Personally I think that is CLEARLY the system we have now. I have no desire to see that degraded because hypothetically there's some idiot somewhere who's ALREADY A HORRIBLE DM who's going to abuse some rule. No good will come of taking that one rule out of his hands, none at all.
What would mark such a "horrible DM"? Not giving the players items that suit their character concepts? Misjudging what items would interact well with the character abilities and provide entertaining tactical possibilities? Because, if it's anything like these, how would the DM be a better judge of such factors than the players?

But magical items are no player rule... we are not playing a dress up game...
You're right, D&D is not best played as a game of "dress up". But the players have pressing concerns guiding their item selection - to make their characters better at and closer to the concept that they have for them. The DM has little to add to that but whimsy - and dressing up someone else's character to suit your whimsy sounds much more like "dressing up games" than trying to attain a character concept does, to me.

I haven't seen one instance when item rarity would have improved my game one iota. If you have specific examples, please relate them. I'm happy to examine ways in which the pre-rarity system has flaws, but saying that these will be fixed (or even ameliorated) by dumping the control (and responsibility) onto the DM is a very different thing.

Then you haven't actually read what I wrote...

I see a few flaws with the original system, but I don't see any benefits so far revealed of handing item creation almost entirely to the DM, whatsoever.

again, read what was written.
Yes, it is. But there are only one set of people who are going to decide which items will be desired and used, and that is the players. It seems simply logical, to me, therefore, that the same people should control item creation (within the limits of level and resources).

Likewise items are an element of the story and setting, and I can just as logically therefore assert that they are logically within the domain of the DM.

Aside from giving the designers license to be lax and lazy, what benefits does the rarity system bring? What puts the real edge on design in the "real world" is the mechanisms of the market. In D&D, the players are that market. The requirements of the "manufacturer" (in this case represented by game balance) set the price demanded, but the market sets whether the item at that price is a winner or a loser. This mechanism provides discipline to the designers; lack of design discipline may be easy for the designers, but it's by no means "better".

Yes, yes, anything that isn't in conformance with YOUR aesthetic is laxness and laziness. Nonsense.

What would mark such a "horrible DM"? Not giving the players items that suit their character concepts? Misjudging what items would interact well with the character abilities and provide entertaining tactical possibilities? Because, if it's anything like these, how would the DM be a better judge of such factors than the players?

You're right, D&D is not best played as a game of "dress up". But the players have pressing concerns guiding their item selection - to make their characters better at and closer to the concept that they have for them. The DM has little to add to that but whimsy - and dressing up someone else's character to suit your whimsy sounds much more like "dressing up games" than trying to attain a character concept does, to me.

Nonsense, the DM has a story to tell, a setting to portray, etc.

I notice in all the responses I have had to my own posts that nobody has yet adequately addressed the issues that the original system had in terms of item design.

Please explain to me how daily item use constraints, an imposition on the players and the designers isn't a bad idea. Mike Mearls said it quite well when he said "we took that dog out back and shot it", a sentiment that I expect quite well sums up how the designers feel about it. I can only tell you how the players I've played with feel on their side of things, which is they uniformly hated the fact that they could only use a trivial number of daily powers. That was a huge straightjacket on the players and horribly limited the utility of items. I'm sorry, but that's just objectively true, you really can't argue with it. The removal of that one issue is well worth the development of the rarity system. Items have been vastly more useful and entertaining and I've been able to give out a much larger array of interesting and fun items since that change.

I think we've reached that point where it doesn't make any sense to continue a debate where everyone has obviously heard, and apparently dismissed, the arguments of the other side, lol. It would be quite interesting to hear from Mike and Co on this point, but as it stands you're not going to convince me at this point, and I'm pretty sure the opposite is true as well. We'll just have to agree to disagree. It will be quite interesting to see what the new book contains. Perhaps there will be something more to discuss at that point. In the meantime I'm sure we will both happily go about playing the game in our own ways ;)

RLBURNSIDE

First Post
yeah

I can only tell you how the players I've played with feel on their side of things, which is they uniformly hated the fact that they could only use a trivial number of daily powers. That was a huge straightjacket on the players and horribly limited the utility of items.

Our DM never enforced the daily / day rule, from the word go, because it was a nonsense rule. There weren't Toy'sRus' with shopping carts full of magic items to buy at the mall. Items were rare. The solution wasn't the rarity system, it was just to kill that rule and tell DMs they should use their judgment about how many items are in their game.

Instead what they did was replace one straightjacked with another. And the rarity system was done half-*ssed, everybody knows that. They could have gone over the items several times over by now...or heck...asked US, via a poll, what items should be kept in the system or what have been deprecated. Extremely rare could mean rare because it's garbage and wasn't produced much or had a limited run since there were no customers, or rare because it's powerful or expensive or the recipe was lost aeons ago.

What they did instead was give us another thing to house rule away...thanks for trying, Wizards, better luck next time.

eamon

Explorer
I notice in all the responses I have had to my own posts that nobody has yet adequately addressed the issues that the original system had in terms of item design.
I have, in this post.

Essentially:

• Daily Item restrictions are unnecessary for most items WotC classified as uncommon (i.e. the general argument is fine, but in practice the items didn't actually need that restriction). Thus the argument that they needed item rarity to be able to drop the daily item restriction is a strawman: they didn't need item rarity as implemented, just in a select few cases (and I can't even name one off the top of my head.
  • Magic items can be essential to interesting PC builds. Such magic items should have been common, e.g. rushing cleats, or teleport enhancers, damage type exchangers. If you want to change game balance that's a seperate errata, which I don't believe is necessary in general, but perhaps for some items.
  • The argument that they designers were forced to make bland items because high level PC's can make tons of low level items is absurd. It's generally totally uninteresting to make tons of low level items, and when it is potentially interesting, it's often not problematic (e.g. 3.5's masses of wands of cure light wounds). If you take the actual list of items defined as uncommon evaluate them using this criteria it's instantly obvious that the criteria is just a bunch of hot air. Almost all items wouldn't need the uncommon classification.
It's always been the case that the DM can introduce items that cannot be crafted and are unique. This is not a strength of the item rarity system. The item rarity system merely makes it possible for WotC to publish items that aren't balanced if PC-craftable, and that's fine - but that concept isn't what's on offer! The item rarity system was hijacked to the dubious aim of making PC's less interesting.

Balesir

Adventurer
Then you haven't actually read what I wrote...

again, read what was written.
OK, well, I went back and re-read your posts in this thread, and the only section I found that I had not addressed was one post with these three points in a discussion you had with eamon:
1) You noted above that there 'very few items' that are a problem There's a good reason for this, all the ones that were a problem were nerfed practically to irrelevance. The original system left VERY little room for developers to work in, it was a very constrained design space. Every item needed to be made such that any number of cheap copies of it wouldn't cause an issue. The result was bland items.
This is a bit of a generalisation with no specific items to work on, but I am convinced that, for every "problem" item, there was/is a good solution - many of WotC's "fixes" struck me as heavy-handed and rushed. Items that are a problem if spammed were generally controlled by the daily item uses (which I'll come back to later), other items just needed to be more expensive but at the same (or a corrected) level.

2) Another constraint on the design space was the requirement that daily item uses be restricted to a small number. This means that players don't really have the option to use daily item powers which are not competitive. Only a narrow range of daily item powers are thus viable and many interesting powers which would be somewhat useful if allowed once per day are simply ignored because they now have to compete not only with other items that could go into the same slot, but the daily powers of ALL other items the character might have. This is too constraining.
If I actually found this to be a genuine problem in practise I would just define some item daily powers as "Daily but does not consume a daily item use". Easy, elegant and a minimal change.

3) From a fluff perspective you can't easily achieve a setting where magic items aren't a commonplace commodity. Higher level PCs can simply churn out 100's of instances of lower level items. Even if this isn't something the PCs want to spend their own treasure on you can't really justify any sort of low availability of lower level items. The only thing you can do that logically makes sense is to make low level items almost worthless, but that doesn't work either because low level PCs need good interesting items that are effective for them at the levels they can acquire them. Every garden variety NPC bad guy that has any possibility of being able to craft items (and it is hard to see how many of them wouldn't) would logically festoon his henchmen with useful googaws.
Just cut down the monetary treasure (and item treasure). Money is the resource used to control player-acquired magic items; cut it down and you have a low-magic campaign. High level PCs spamming low-level items in such a setting will have even lower magic themselves; probably not a great plan.

Obviously no one approach is going to please everyone, but I think the rarity system took a huge step in eliminating some glaring flaws. Beyond that you can still do virtually the same thing with it you could do before, so it seems both better (to me) and is more flexible in general.
It's now my turn to say "read what I wrote". It seems to me that, for every flaw in the original system, there is a better way to address it than booting it all to a mass of DM judgement calls.

Likewise items are an element of the story and setting, and I can just as logically therefore assert that they are logically within the domain of the DM.
Only in the same sense as characters are an element of the story and setting - but I hope we are still in agreement that the players should have some role in their development and activities? ;)

Yes, yes, anything that isn't in conformance with YOUR aesthetic is laxness and laziness. Nonsense.
Not what I was saying; please read it again. I think it's pretty clear that item rarity could be used to allow designers to skip balancing items or considering their effect on a game they are introduced to - the "lax and lazy" element I refer to. But I was asking what other advantages the rarity system gave - I honestly see none that don't have larger negatives than positives. But maybe you can point out a specific bit of design space that isn't just producing an abusable or unbalanced item?

Nonsense, the DM has a story to tell, a setting to portray, etc.
A setting to portray, sure - but story has to be an emergent property in any roleplaying game, as far as I can see. If the story (as opposed to the plot, which is the setup that makes a story likely to happen) "belongs" entirely to the DM then they would be better served writing a book, script or screenplay. Story in RPGs comes from the alchemy of DM and players.

Please explain to me how daily item use constraints, an imposition on the players and the designers isn't a bad idea.
All rules create constraints on players - constraints that give the game activity form and meaning. Designers also need to be constrained to produce designs that perform the function desired for the design. This, of course, is the rub; those designing and using the product do not entirely agree on its purpose.

My own experience with the daily item limits is that they are far from bad. They add relevance to milestones, allow at least as many item daily powers to be used each adventuring "day" as the characters themselves have daily attack powers and they control the abuse of such powers when used repeatedly from multiple items. My players have not been bothered by them, and if I find neat items that I would like to see more of that have daily powers that are "too weak to spend an item use on" I will houserule their daily power to not use a daily item use (even though it is usable only daily).

Mike Mearls said it quite well when he said "we took that dog out back and shot it", a sentiment that I expect quite well sums up how the designers feel about it. I can only tell you how the players I've played with feel on their side of things, which is they uniformly hated the fact that they could only use a trivial number of daily powers.
In a "typical adventuring day" of 4-5 encounters a heroic level character will have 2-3 daily item uses (compared to 1-3 daily attack powers), a Paragon character will have 3-4 daily item uses (compared to 3 daily attack powers until level 20, when they get 4) and an Epic level character will get 4-5 daily item uses (compared to 4 daily attack powers). I would hardly characterise this as a "trivial" number, when placed in context.

That was a huge straightjacket on the players and horribly limited the utility of items. I'm sorry, but that's just objectively true, you really can't argue with it
I just did. It was/is a restriction - all rules are - but I wouldn't call it even close to a "huge straightjacket" and I think all it does to items is mean they aren't more common and relevant in play than the character's own daily powers.

The removal of that one issue is well worth the development of the rarity system. Items have been vastly more useful and entertaining and I've been able to give out a much larger array of interesting and fun items since that change.
I'm glad DM control is working for you. I have felt no requirement for it, have had no complaints from players claiming that they feel "limited" and have not noticed any unreasonable constricition on the items I include in treasure.

I think we've reached that point where it doesn't make any sense to continue a debate where everyone has obviously heard, and apparently dismissed, the arguments of the other side, lol. It would be quite interesting to hear from Mike and Co on this point, but as it stands you're not going to convince me at this point, and I'm pretty sure the opposite is true as well. We'll just have to agree to disagree. It will be quite interesting to see what the new book contains. Perhaps there will be something more to discuss at that point. In the meantime I'm sure we will both happily go about playing the game in our own ways ;)
I think this may well be true. We seem to have very different expectations of what players and DM should be focussed on and doing during play. Exploration of what the DM has made seems to be a far more prominent element of what you want your players to be concentrating on than it is for me; I want my players to be concentrating on playing the game - overcoming the obstacles to them achieving their objectives. My players seem happy with that - if yours aren't, obviously you will have to run your game differently.

Last edited:

eamon

Explorer
I read your magic item randomness chart, and i remember liking it... but what it lacks is a list of items you find... or i overlooked it...

I want a list that says:

1 - bag of holding 50lbs
2 - gauntlets of ogre power
3 - magic weapon +1 roll on list xxx

List xxx

1 - magic fullblade
2 - magic executioners axe
3-50 - magic long sword

You must have read something else, because the linked thread starts with:
The new system in three lines:

1. The DM randomizes (most) loot.
  2. Items are sold at half price, instead of at 20% of list price.
  3. All treasure parcels containing magic items are raised by one level.
A handy link for random loot generation suggested by Obergnom is Quartermaster - Asmor.com. Don't forget to raise only the items by one level; the gold rewards should stay the same!

I merely computed a houserule under which PC wealth is comparable to RAW using random loot, the random loot chart you'll find at asmor's.

Your confusion is probably my fault since the sig links to a specific post in the thread for absolutely no reason, I'll fix that.

Marshall

First Post

No, they are NOT. Items are a part of the character. Objects that are a part of the setting are defined as Artifacts. You and Ung (and lazy Devs) are conflating two completely separate silos of game mechanics. Magic Items are tools, basic equipment and points of customization for characters. They should be treated as 'story relevant' as Race, Class, Feats, Theme and Background are and no more than that.

Remove ads