• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion question

Captain Howdy

Explorer
One of my players asked me if he would be able to set up an alchemy lab in his magnificent mansion, which made us wonder if the spell always summoned the same mansion, or if it was a new one each time.

Can characters leave stuff in the mansion, or will it be lost when the spell is over?

Henry

Autoexreginated
Total DM Adjudication on this one. To me, the text implies that it's not the same place each time including that its floor plan is created by the caster at the time of casting, but sufficient argument can be made that it is, including the fact that doesn't use a component, but a focus.

IcyCool

First Post
Captain Howdy said:
Can characters leave stuff in the mansion, or will it be lost when the spell is over?

Lost? No. Dumped out at the entry point to the mansion when the spell ends? Yes.

Essentailly, the spell is not an uber bag of holding. If you could find some way to make it permament...

werk

First Post
It is conjuration - creation, so I would rule that you make a new one each time. Were it summoning, you could call the same one each time.

As a side note, it is extradimensional, so avoid taking in any Bags o' Holding or such as it is 'hazardous'.

Magesmiley

Explorer
I'm in the "it gets dumped out when the spell expires camp". However, I'd probably allow the character to create a custom magic item with a similar effect which would be permanently around (and which you could set a lab up inside).

Remove ads