• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More dread nec questions!

bestone

First Post
While responding to another thread about dread necros, i was looking over them myself

Thier fear aura

Free action, all foes within 5' must take dc 10 + 1/2 level +cha mod save or be shaken. Save once and become immune to the effects.

Its a free action, couldnt you use it over and over again on someone until they save? I dont think this is how its supposed to work, but i see that it may be interpreted that way, is it an incorrect interpretation?

Considering of course, fear effects stack. (fear aura + intimidate = nice)

Also, thier negative energy burst, could it be used to effect them aswell?

Will undead mastery stack with corpse grafter? or other things that increase the # of undead you have (not that its not sick already 4+charisma bonus, per level)

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Without actually doing any research into it, "Save once and become immune to the effects" makes it seem like that probably wouldn't be too helpful...

Bad Paper

First Post
bestone said:
Free action, all foes within 5' must take dc 10 + 1/2 level +cha mod save or be shaken. Save once and become immune to the effects.
You fail your save, you become shaken. That's it.
bestone said:
Also, thier negative energy burst, could it be used to effect them aswell?
The text mentions it affecting only creatures near to the DN. I don't think this is an area effect, i.e. it could not affect, say, a magical door that opens when you rebuke nearby. Since it is not an area effect, and the DN is not mentioned in the description of the ability, I am going to say no.
bestone said:
Will undead mastery stack with corpse grafter?
Enhancement boni don't stack.

I said "boni." :eek:

Last edited:

bestone

First Post
Ah yes found it, dmg p 294. 2 failed saves and a good intimidate (class skill for dread necros) and you'll make your opponent panicked!

Bad Paper

First Post
bestone said:
True, but fear effects stack, shaken + shaken = frightened.....i thought....or maybey im on crack
Please put down the glass pipe and walk away from it. I imagine if you found a different fear effect, one that said "this can increase from shaken to frightened" or something, then it would work, but it seems that the DN's aura works once every 24 hours. Either you make the save and are immune, or you fail and are shaken.

bestone

First Post
Sithobi1 said:
The fear effect is the same effect twice, so it won't stack.

Eh? You use the ability, make them shaken, you use it again, they are now frightened?

Where does it say that an ability cant affect you twice with the same effect?

Shaken + shaken from any source = frightened

If you fail your save twice, i'd think your frightened

If you made one save, then your immune to it.

bestone

First Post
Bad Paper said:
Please put down the glass pipe and walk away from it. I imagine if you found a different fear effect, one that said "this can increase from shaken to frightened" or something, then it would work, but it seems that the DN's aura works once every 24 hours. Either you make the save and are immune, or you fail and are shaken.

the dn's aura doesnt work once every 24 hours, they radiate a fear aura as a free action. If you save, they can still radiate it, it just doesnt affect you.

Dmg p 294. Shaken + shaken = frightened

Where does it say you need a different fear effect?

The way i read dread necros aura, they activate the ability (free action) you make a save, if you fail your shaken, if you pass, your immune for 24 hours.

Whats to say they cant activate it again (free action) to force you to make another save? besides an assumption of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads