• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More Item Creation

Lameth

First Post
Can a Metamagic Rod be upgraded from lesser to normal with the cost of the lesser deducted from the cost of the normal?

ARandomGod

First Post
Lameth said:
Can a Metamagic Rod be upgraded from lesser to normal with the cost of the lesser deducted from the cost of the normal?

Yes.
That's how any upgrading of a magic item is done. This is particularly important in magic items with more than one enchantment, because as you are upgrading the enchantments, the ones that should cost more change as the different levels of enchantment vary... So you basically figure out how much the new level would cost built new, and subtract from that how much you've already paid in the making of the old item.

Treebore

First Post
With arms, armor and wondrous items, I would say yes. Since these particular rods are not a charged item I would also say yes. Charged items, such as wands, staves, and certain rods, no "upgrading" would be possible, unless, maybe, if it was still unused. No upgrading potions from cure light to cure moderate, either.

And yes you calaculate it by subtracting the cost of the old from the new.

ARandomGod

First Post
Treebore said:
With arms, armor and wondrous items, I would say yes. Since these particular rods are not a charged item I would also say yes. Charged items, such as wands, staves, and certain rods, no "upgrading" would be possible, unless, maybe, if it was still unused. No upgrading potions from cure light to cure moderate, either.

And yes you calaculate it by subtracting the cost of the old from the new.

Ha!
You know, I never even thought of that.

Of course, I'm of the general opinion that making potions and wands (charged staves and even scrolls) is a waste and hideously counterproductive. I detest the XP cost mechanism. Of course, I detest that mechanism for all item creation, but at least with permanent magic items you aren't flushing your XP down the toilet.

Remove ads