• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More lay-offs at WOTC! [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLabelle

First Post
I was somewhat unfair in the first two paragraphs of my post, this is what it should have read like :

"Very, very few peoples are left at Hasbro that knows anything about GAMES.

The top level executives are mostly corporate DRONES... Execs among Hasbro's top level management willing to take any risk are ( at best ) few and far between."

I stand by the rest of my post. I of course don't expect everyone will share my view of the company.

Staffan

Legend
Falcmir said:
I think history has shown that there isnt a large enough market for D&D products to make it's ownership more than an afterthought for a huge company like Hasbro. Conversly a smaller company like TSR didnt have the resources necessary to continue publishing a significant amount of product.
Well, I think something like TSR or a bit smaller would be the optimum for owning D&D, sizewise that is (we can do without old TSR management). TSR failed mostly due to releasing *too much* stuff, effectively competing with themselves. They released a multitude of campaign settings, which divided the fan base between them which meant that each product had less potential buyers than they could have had.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Quandry

Piratecat said:

Keep this thread on topic, please. Branching off onto piracy issues is NOT on topic.

Thanks.

Ahhhh..... but i was so looking forward to that response. *sniff*
:p
we'll i guess i'll just listen to the guy ranting about hasbro, (a company that makes games) having no one at their company that knows anything about games.

joe b.

Falcmir

First Post
Well, I think something like TSR or a bit smaller would be the optimum for owning D&D, sizewise that is (we can do without old TSR management). TSR failed mostly due to releasing *too much* stuff, effectively competing with themselves. They released a multitude of campaign settings, which divided the fan base between them which meant that each product had less potential buyers than they could have had.

How does a small company putting out few products differ from a large company putting out a few products? The large company ensures wider distribution of the few products they do put out since it will go in the same stores as the rest of their product, i.e. I've seen far more D&D books in book stores since WOTC took over than I ever did under TSR.

Staffan

Legend
Falcmir said:

How does a small company putting out few products differ from a large company putting out a few products? The large company ensures wider distribution of the few products they do put out since it will go in the same stores as the rest of their product, i.e. I've seen far more D&D books in book stores since WOTC took over than I ever did under TSR.
I don't mind WOTC owning D&D. I do mind Hasbro doing so. D&D is too small to register on the execs' radar other than as yet another toy to be profit-maximized. A smaller company who knows the RPG business better could take better care of D&D.

Mobius

First Post
Your confusing the issue yet again...price represents what the aggregate MARKET feels is an efficient outcome.

Ah, but you are missing my point, too. What the market 'feels' can be manipulated. Propaganda works. Advertising works. If what the person actually wants can be manipulated, then the rock-solid predictability of the market can be shifted. This is not a normal market situation any more when the producers can, to a certain extent, manipulate the desire for their products.

The data indicates most.

But the data also shows that there is a loss in average income and a general move from ownership to being an employee, too. Perhaps you should look at some research, albeit Canadian in focus:

www.research.ryerson.ca/research/job.html

The study shows a general decline in income for the majority of the population, while a small portion have seen a great increase. Is landing a job after Wal-Mart decimates the town such a good thing when the job pays so much less than owning your own business?

Because the economies of scale which you dismiss in Walmart and other larger chains increases the value of the dollar and thus increases the total purchasing power of the consumer.

If you are no longer employed or are now underemployed because of Wal-mart moving in, the increase in the purchasing power of the dollar is offset by the fact that you no longer have any dollars or do not have enough of them to make purchases.

Either increases labor demand.

Explain this please. More money for loan does not directly correlate with an increase in the demand for labour - with all the higgery-jiggery in the stock scene, there are plenty of ways to earn interest without having to invest in a venture that actually employs people. Soros made millions off of currency speculation that didn't employ a single soul, for example. Couple this with the increase in labour *supply* because there is a measurable net loss in jobs when a big business moves into a town, and I think that you are perhaps overstating your case.

And what you term as psychological tricks, i.e. brand identity, is something that consumers want and are willing to pay for.

What they want is the feeling of inclusion. This can get this from their family, their community, their sports team, their friends ... but branding gives them a supposedly easier option where to get into a group of 'committed athletes', all you have to do is buy NIKE. To be on the forefront of technology, all you have to do is buy MS. They don't have to actually *be* a committed athlete or be on the forefront of technology, but the product supposedly assures them that they are there.

Branding textbooks (I have literally read dozens) read like government propaganda textbooks from the old Soviet Union. Why is manipulation of opinion considered acceptable when it is a company doing it and not when it is done by a government?

Both sides profit

Huh? I don't understand how paying $120 for a pair of $6 shoes benefits anyone but the producer. Maybe, in some fantasy world, the shoes make the buyer feel more sporty, but they don't actually make the person more sporty, so they are getting sold a bill of goods that isn't there in truth. Perhaps you could explain this further.

This debate is more than a bit off track, and my main point was that 'business as usual' is very different under Hasbro rather than when WotC was running things still stands. Big business looks at the world differently than medium or small business. Can we agree on that much?

jasamcarl

First Post
Ok

I can't debate with you if you continue to mistake your judgments for value. Regardless of how you feel about brand loyalty, it is something that the MAJORITY VALUES, thus rendering it an objective value. You are utilizing sentimental terms such as 'manipulate' and 'propoganda' to assert to devalue the market, but this is in fact YOUR JUDGEMENT, one that the majority obviously don't share.

How can i say this? Currency speculation is a GOOD THING. If anything, we need more of it. It helps to alleviate future scarcity. And in the case you sighted, it did increase jobs, as it raised the value of said currency and allowed for investment in a number of foreign markets.

And more money DOES correlate with labor demand. Every industry utilizes labor as an input, thus on aggregate, the more economic activity, the more labor neccesary to maintain production, asset maintance, etc. Now i would agree with the notion that labor often can't employ the oppurtunities presented it for a number of reasons, most notably a lack of mobility and general scarcity of human capital. But with a solid institutional basis, both of those problems can be remedied. But to assert that this makes the entire market-oriented system invalid is simply a stretch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads