More on SWORD COAST LEGENDS: Campaign Tools & Starting Races

Some more information about Sword Coast Legends has emerged. MMORPG.com interviewed D&D's brand director, Nathan Stewart, and Dan Tudge, the president of n-Space (the video game company behind the upcoming game). They mention that the Neverwinter Nights comparisons are warranted and discuss DM tools, starting races, and other tidbits. (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Some more information about Sword Coast Legends has emerged. MMORPG.com interviewed D&D's brand director, Nathan Stewart, and Dan Tudge, the president of n-Space (the video game company behind the upcoming game). They mention that the Neverwinter Nights comparisons are warranted and discuss DM tools, starting races, and other tidbits. (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

One interesting quote from Tudge on the campaign tools is this: "The DM is fully capable of customizing experiences and significantly altering a player's adventure by changing encounters, placing traps, spawning monsters, creating quest NPCs, generating secret areas, locking doors -- all in real-time. We also have deep campaign tools that enable DMs to build near limitless campaigns for their players (more on that later!)." It's the last part that's really interesting.

Also of interest is Stewart's confirmation that "The Forgotten Realms is the universe that we at Wizards of the Coast are focusing our storytelling in for the foreseeable future", which may disappoint some hoping for adventures set elsewhere after Princes of the Apocalypse comes out.

Regarding the video game's content, Tudge says that "At launch, SCL features Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, and Human races. Again, this decision comes down to our focus on quality and our team discipline with regard to scope. We are planning to release more races post-launch. I know I want to play a Half-Orc, my sons want to play Dragonborn and my wife a Teifling - so we can probably expect to see the Teifling soon after launch!"

You can read the full interview here, which includes some fascinating stuff about how "n-Space and Wizards of the Coast are very well aligned strategically". That's the more unusual, little known definition of "fascinating", of course.

SCL2.jpg

Derren

Hero
More evidence that this game will be a linear dungeon crawler and not a RPG many people expect it to be.
Unless there is a huge surprise with the "deep campaign tools" the DM will be limited to placing objects on already preexisting maps.

And of course there is the DLC bloat incoming. It is highly unlikely that a RPG Neverwinter or Baldurs Gate style would lock races and classes behind DLCs. But for a dungeon crawler it is fitting.

AstroCat

Adventurer
This sounds absolutely fantastic! Very much looking forward to this game and hoping it has a long life with tons of modules and extras added over time.

Mirtek

Hero
Check out the portfolio of nSpace. A long list of handheld ports and licensed shovelware, including some Olsen twins games. Hopefully they have a good game in them, but I suspect they were chosen based on their ability to quickly deliver finished products.
Don't you worry. Remember how well Arena of War turned out :p

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
MMORPG.com: What have you done developing this game to make it feel like fifth edition as opposed to 3.5, 4.0, or the open 20 systems?

Stewart: As Wizards of the Coast was developing the latest edition we very specifically wanted to take emphasis off the rules and focus on the feel of the game. As part of the playtest and creation of the new edition we looked back at all previous editions and made sure we had clear ideas and descriptions for the most important elements. An example is magic, more specifically let's focus on the fireball spell. It isn't important that the Fireball spell does 8d6 damage or has 150 range in all our games, but is instead important that in each instance it is a mid-level spell that explodes and causes a wider range of damage. In other words, for our partners it's critical they capture the feel of the latest edition of rules, but not necessarily the specific mechanics.

Tudge: In SCL we have adapted the fifth edition tabletop ruleset to better work in a videogame; however, n-Space and Wizards of the Coast have worked very closely to ensure we deliver an experience that feels "true to D&D."

This bit has me apprehensive.

Mirtek

Hero
This bit has me apprehensive.
What's to be worried about? We're clearly getting a game with as much to do with the 5e rules as Neverwinter has to do with the 4e rules.

It'll use familiar names to re-create the "experience" (TM) while not caring about any actuall rules in any but the vaguest sense

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
It makes me hopeful, there are certain things that work better in a video game than do on table top and vice versa. If they don't follow the rules of 5e perfectly I am more than fine with that.

Naw. What works in a turn based strategy game, works in a turn based strategy game. The difference is how much math the system can take and having pretty moving pictures/tokens. Virtual card games are all the rage now, for instance.

It's only once you do genre shifting when things can go sour.

casterblaster

First Post
Baldurs Gate had the 2e rules running (the best it could in a video game) behind the scenes. It didn't work out for you very well if you just smashed the mouse button as fast as you could, everything worked based off your character sheet and the rules. I may be wrong but this is what it sounds like they are recreating in a sense. Quasi real time game, you can play it real time but you really wont get the most out of it unless you use the pause and plan attacks. Baldurs Gate, Kotor, DAO are on the top of my list of rpgs. I have faith in the game, if its on line only I will be disappointed and I hope it has a great single player experience. Not much into online play.

Gecko85

Explorer
Baldurs Gate had the 2e rules running (the best it could in a video game) behind the scenes. It didn't work out for you very well if you just smashed the mouse button as fast as you could...
Not only that, you had zero chance if you didn't pause OFTEN. Paused was pretty much the natural state of the game most of the time.

Remove ads

Remove ads