• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More powers, no replacements?

DreamChaser

Explorer
I believe the replacement option was intended less for balance and more to keep down the volume of resources each player would need to manage.

Especially at high levels when there are 15+ class powers, 8+ magical item powers, class features, and paragon features, there is potentially tons to keep track of if the number of class powers goes up to high...

Of course, that said we'd be talking about 13 encounter / daily, + 2 paragon + 6 utility + 1 epic + 2 at will (24 total)...almost 10 more powers to manage. For some, no problem, for others, more trouble than its worth.

DC

Skyscraper

Explorer
I believe the replacement option was intended less for balance and more to keep down the volume of resources each player would need to manage.

Especially at high levels when there are 15+ class powers, 8+ magical item powers, class features, and paragon features, there is potentially tons to keep track of if the number of class powers goes up to high...

Of course, that said we'd be talking about 13 encounter / daily, + 2 paragon + 6 utility + 1 epic + 2 at will (24 total)...almost 10 more powers to manage. For some, no problem, for others, more trouble than its worth.

DC

I think this sums it up quite well.

Sky

erisred

First Post
A few things I like about this rule, the more I think about it:

--) If you do use the retraining rules, you can retrain low-level encounter powers to very situational ones--the kind of encounter powers that might not be that helpful too often, but make a big difference when they do. Thus, as characters become more experienced they increasingly resemble wily bastards with a lot of tricks up their sleeves. Which, naturally, is as it should be.

--) The extra options only make a really significant impact into epic levels. But in epic levels, your at-wills get better, too--to be on par with or better than your lowest-level encounter powers. The more extra powers you have, the less difference some of them make.

--) The rule becomes really easy to use if you also use power cards. Lay out all your power cards and flip them over when you use them. Once you've flipped over a power card, you can't use that power. Once you have three cards of a given type flipped over, you can't use any more of that type.
I was thinking of having each PC have a "hand" of power cards and as they play them they go into "discard" piles...one for daily and one for encounter...while At Wills just stay in their hand. It would be a nice visual reminder of what the PC has left as they went through encounters and through the day. The PC's would have to pick their hand at the appropriate time (Dailys at the beginning of the day, Encounters at the beginning of the encounter) from all the powers they have in their "deck." How does that sound?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads