• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More stand alone modules, please.

Steel_Wind

Legend
No, they are highly unlikely to do that. Here's why:

1 - They get higher sales from linked AP modules than stand alones. That does not mean there is no interest, simply LESS interest. You apply your existing production assets in a manner likely to yield the higher return. That's just good business.

2 - More importantly, the subscriber rates for 32 page modules is set. They won't mess with that.

As Erik Mona confirmed at Gencon last week, Paizo is very reluctant to add categories of new products or to mess with the fundamental underpinnings of existing product lines in a manner that would result in a significant change in the price charged to subscribers. The subscriber base is an extremely important business asset to the company. It essentially pays for the print run on release as a guaranteed sale basis (and with some lines, like the Adventure Paths, adds a healthy profit on top to boot). Subscribers do WONDERS for Paizo's cashflow. They don't like messing with things that could cause them to lose subscribers.

All of which means that you need to cobble together your own "megamodule" material out of existing product lines to create your own personal big fat module. I would suggest that The Price of Immortality Trilogy which we recently reviewed on the podcast in episodes 1-3 would seem to meet most of your stated requirements.

IronWolf

blank
While I have no issues with the APs (Kingmaker starting on September!), I do think there are lots of bits one could steal from them to drop in as a much smaller scale adventure. Re-work a few bits and I have lots of pieces to work with to drop into anything I may be running.

If needed I could always look to the Pathfinder Society Adventures to slip into my own stuff as well. With some tweaks and such any number of those could likely be used as a one-off module.

I think as long as there are lots of things and "borrow" from the APs and such they will stick with the AP style of things.

SoldierBlue

First Post
There were also all the Falcon's Hollow modules, which loosely linked several modules (two of which, if I remember correctly, were released free on Free RPG Day 07 and 08, the names of which I've forgotten) in a vague but non-obligatory fashion. Crown of the Kobold King and in Hungry are the Dead were for-purchase modules which bookended the mini-campaign arc (if my sleep-addled brain serves me).

renau1g

First Post
Wow. I expected more "me too"s. I guess that explains why Paizo doesn't do them: little interest.

I think a big source of revenue is the subscription model (Morrus has also mentioned this here and see all MMOs) so the AP provides a way to "hook" DM's for 6 issues @ $15-20 per book x 6 issues. I also found that the 1st issue of the new AP was sent out with my last issue of the Kingmaker one, I presume to try to keep my interest going in the next AP. (which I admit it sounds fantastic, but they all do)

IronWolf

blank
I think a big source of revenue is the subscription model (Morrus has also mentioned this here and see all MMOs) so the AP provides a way to "hook" DM's for 6 issues @ $15-20 per book x 6 issues. I also found that the 1st issue of the new AP was sent out with my last issue of the Kingmaker one, I presume to try to keep my interest going in the next AP. (which I admit it sounds fantastic, but they all do)

Heh. This is how they got me! I had heard great things about Kingmaker and since I wanted the print copy and the PDF, subscribed. I was planning on canceling at the end of Kingmaker, but then James Jacobs mentioned some things that would be in the next AP that intrigued me and since the first issue was coming anyways, I haven't canceled it yet! No regrets for that decision yet, but the model certainly hooked me in.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!

Heh. This is how they got me! I had heard great things about Kingmaker and since I wanted the print copy and the PDF, subscribed. I was planning on canceling at the end of Kingmaker, but then James Jacobs mentioned some things that would be in the next AP that intrigued me and since the first issue was coming anyways, I haven't canceled it yet! No regrets for that decision yet, but the model certainly hooked me in.

Ditto. All my gaming is PbP now, and I'm already running Legacy of Fire, about to start running Serpent's Skull, and I have a friend who's keen on playing Council of Thieves (if I can modify it enough that he can get through with a character and a DMPC). I'll be running these three for years, and yet I'm already looking forward to the NEXT AP - looks like it'll be a gothic/horror adventure set in Ustalav . . .

I'm a freakin' Paizo/AP addict! Somebody find me a self-help group, quick!

Steel_Wind

Legend
I'm a freakin' Paizo/AP addict! Somebody find me a self-help group, quick!

Psst: this IS the self-help group.

Like all genuinely effective self-help programs, the first step to recovery is admitting to yourself that there IS no problem and that everything is, in fact, just 100% A-OK.

Never underestimate the power of collective denial...

IronWolf

blank
Psst: this IS the self-help group.

Like all genuinely effective self-help programs, the first step to recovery is admitting to yourself that there IS no problem and that everything is, in fact, just 100% A-OK.

Never underestimate the power of collective denial...

Oh no! The self-help group is a bunch of enablers!! ;)

renau1g

First Post
Ain't that the best kind of help? I always love being told I don't have a problem.

I wish they didn't make such good stuff then I could avoid that $25-ish per month cost (with shipping to Canada). Ah well...

Vorpal Mouse

First Post
Me too! I would prefer single adventures, or at least adventure paths that could be transitioned into and out of more easily. I love what Paizo is doing, but I like everything they're doing... and that's the problem. I don't have time to play everything they're doing. So I do wish they're stuff was more... self contained. But I certainly can't complain about the quality!

On a side note, aweomse Soth icon, SteelWind.

Remove ads