• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More Stuff For Robots...

Scribble

First Post
Just a thread stating my desire for more support for d20 future style robots..

All I see is Mech this, Starship that, with the occasional cyberware thrown in...

I want more robots and robot stuff dang nabbit!

Who's with me???

:D

Arkhandus

First Post
....I've almost finished statting up the glowing-katana-wielding robot at the beginning of the Robotics chapter in D20 Future Tech, if it helps...... I'm throwing a small, mixed-robot army against my PCs in Mecha Crusade soon......the ninja-assassin robot, I call it Raikengami, is a 12th-level biodroid (it looks more like a biomorph, but biomorphs don't have any intelligence, so...).

The four-beam-sword-wielding cyborg-death-machine PC just might, maybe, have a challenge outside of his mecha when I throw one or two Raikengami against him (and I haven't been able to challenge him in his mecha; my only attempt so far turned out to be an even-more-unstoppable mecha death machine than the PC's, and I didn't want to throw that at them while they're still so horribly incapable of even denting it.....).

accipiter

First Post
I'm playing a robot in the d20 Future campaign our DM's starting two weeks from now, so count me as a vote for more cool robot stuff!

Some of the existing stuff doesn't make sense to me, either. No feats at first level, but several feats that seem (can't remember if they're actually restricted or not) really suitable only for taking at first level? And what kind of self-respecting robot can't pull an R2D2 and log directly into a computer system via a port? Maybe it's just assumed or I missed it or something -- seems way too obvious not to be in there!

Arkhandus

First Post
Hmm. I think you can achieve that with a robot by giving it a Tool Mount (D20 Future, Robotics chapter) and a Card Computer (same book, Gear chapter, PL 6 I think). Along with a Satellite Datalink or a Cellular Modem for wireless internet access. Unfortunate that none of the D20 Modern/Future books seems to have anything quite appropriate.....they're very minimalist and vague.

Robots are essentially equipment, though semi-sentient in some cases, so they are modified and upgraded as equipment. Robot feats are mentioned as being a mix of factors, though I think the Wetware robot feat in D20 Future Tech probably deserves significant cost and such, considering that it basically means replacing the whole robot's body and 'brain' with an artificial meat-body. It's wierd that it's a feat and not a frame or gadget for making robots with in the first place. The other stuff I think is probably do-able as just programming, learning, and internal component upgrades/re-arrangement.

accipiter

First Post
Arkhandus said:
Hmm. I think you can achieve that with a robot by giving it a Tool Mount (D20 Future, Robotics chapter) and a Card Computer (same book, Gear chapter, PL 6 I think). Along with a Satellite Datalink or a Cellular Modem for wireless internet access. Unfortunate that none of the D20 Modern/Future books seems to have anything quite appropriate.....they're very minimalist and vague.

Oh, interesting idea! I was planning on taking the Wetware feat, as you mentioned, then shelling out for cyberware -- a neural link and a vehicle control port. I really wish the book was more specific as to how everything interfaces.

For this game, the DM and I discussed it, and the Wetware feat will just mean that my character has an artificial, self-sealing flesh shell over a metal frame (think the Terminator or Bishop from Aliens). I still get the benefits (no Spot to notice I'm not human, cyberware, and healing in addition to repair) but the fluff is a little different (what's the point of playing a robot who isn't at all a robot, after all).

Anyway, I'll be using robotics whenever multiple methods are available, then cybernetics as a last resort.

Scribble

First Post
Arkhandus said:

Robots are essentially equipment, though semi-sentient in some cases, so they are modified and upgraded as equipment. Robot feats are mentioned as being a mix of factors, though I think the Wetware robot feat in D20 Future Tech probably deserves significant cost and such, considering that it basically means replacing the whole robot's body and 'brain' with an artificial meat-body. It's weird that it's a feat and not a frame or gadget for making robots with in the first place. The other stuff I think is probably do-able as just programming, learning, and internal component upgrades/re-arrangement.

You know... it always amazes me the stuff you can do with the base rules if you pay attention... I was in the "how did they miss the whole computer connection thing.." category. I guess with the "tool mount" you can achieve a variety of different effects...

Still a nice big book full of shiny new robotic ad-ons and upgrades is always nice. :) Even if you do consider them just equipment... In which case it's like a whole bunch of options for weapons... (like weapons locker...)

Well, there were 2 groovy books done by Perpetrated Press, "Arsenal" and "Factory".

Arsenal is all about magic-tech weapons, and armor. Certainly tweakable to be straight up sci-fi though.

Factory gives the magic-tech treatment to robots, computers, and cyberware. Again, it shouldn't be too hard to tweak it over to a pure sci-fi if that's your inclination.

I've got both books and love 'em.

You can find 'em easily on ebay, and usually run anywhere from $2 to $9 U.S. You can also find 'em on Amazon, although it can be a bit tricky to track one of the books (I forget which) because of some funky thing with Amazon's search.

You might be able to use the Mecha SRD from Guardians of Order. Dream Pod 9 used it for the Mecha Compendium/Mecha Compendium Deluxe. While the focus is obviously on mecha, I _think_ it could be leveraged to do robots, although it would be more work than simply using the Factory book. On the other hand the Mecha SRD is free, and it's quite a bit more in depth in terms of how to build mecha, so if you wanted greater complexity in building robots, it'd be a more consistent base, since it's point based and already pretty detailed owing to it's mecha roots.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads