• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E More time to play with feats

From out tables, we seem to end up with players all seeking to take feats at level 4 and 8, though we tend to have players who consider extra abilities and the things that feats come with as more interesting than straight bonuses. A couple characters have been exceptions to this (most single stat class characters like the wizards/warlock or caster druid/cleric builds), though even when they did choose to increase ability scores it was often to even out odd scores, or to up a secondary or even tertiary stat (usually con) to 16.

The game's difficulty is tentatively balanced around a character having a 14 in their primary, and I actually think this to be a good thing, as it allows unorthodox builds to be viable or newer players who can't optimize to still function and enjoy themselves, and for those who do up their stats to feel more powerful.

Realistically, there isn't any sort of "requirement" to up your stats at all, as even with a 14 stat, an attack will hit targets with average ac about 50% of the time (give or take 10%), it is the higher ac monsters where having a higher stat can really be felt, or when using weapons you aren't proficient in, etc. That said, it is likely to be more fun for players who start with a primary stat of 16 if possible, or a 15 that gets bumped somehow to 16 at level 4. I'd wager the only time you'd *have* to increase this is around level 12, where monsters having AC higher than 15 start becoming more and more common, at which point you'll be fine with an 18 in your primary stat. Possessing a 20 is by no means "required" and in all honestly nearly every build will be improved by making another score a second 18, or taking another feat over maxing out a 20, though there may be a few exceptions, and that's a matter of opinion.

Personally, what I've found seems to make the game more entertaining and to help character growth is to give players a feat at first level, one which *must* be a feat. It should ideally fit their character's concept rather than just being mechanically best, but again, who's to say "hitting very hard" (i.e. Heavy Weapon Master) isn't core to your character's identity. We do this at our table and it tends to have a couple results:
1) The players are slightly more powerful in the long run, though far from being game breaking OP in the longrun, and most if the power boost is at low levels, where the game could stand to have a couple more options to diversify character builds.

2) I've found it helps encourage players to take options that help flesh out their character, whether that means:
2a) they take what are normally considered "lackluster" feats because the extra feat allows them to do so, especially for builds that are MAD.
2b) It is just one more instance that forces a player to put some thought into their character beyond just "I am a fighter" or "I am a rogue". Backgrounds having traits, flaws, etc. help with this, but it is always nice to have one more mechanical reason.

3) Maybe it's just my players, but I've found granting a starting feat seems to increase racial diversity among the characters created.

We had a LOT of varient humans for a number of builds before trying this just because some builds (like crossbow users or warcaster for sword/board clerics and paladins) really almost need some feats, and being "forced" to take one at 4th level or take human varient if you really want another feat that that is more flavorful every time really kind of feels sort of boring and stifles the creativity I like to see at my table. Though these are just my thoughts.

Alatar

First Post
I really like building characters. Part of the fun, a good part of the fun, is pulling off the build within the constraints of the rules. From my point of view, the ASI/Feat conundrum is delicious. It's the secret sauce of 5e character building. If that tyranny were somehow tamed, building characters would be less fun.

It is likely true that in almost every instance the optimal path involves getting to 20 in your primary stat as quickly as possible. And it is certainly true that if you enjoy laboring over character builds like I do, you really want to produce a character that excels. But excelling is not the same thing as cleaving to only the most optimal choices. Sometimes, you make suboptimal choices that result in a character that is more fun to play and is more likely to produce lasting memories. That may involve MAD multiclassing and/or picking feats that don't fall into the "must have" category and perhaps doing so when the math says you should be doing a stat bump instead.

ASIs are like taking your medicine. Feats are like eating chocolate cake. And if you are 5% or 10% less efficient, who's going to notice? Every session constitutes a statistically insignificant sample size, whereas anecdotally it's as fun as it feels. Don't over-medicate, kids!

Syntallah

First Post
I remain quite tempted to allow everyone to take a racial (XGtE) or Skill (UA) feat upon character creation

I am planning on letting my players trade points of their Point Buy to take a 'Starter Feat' from an approved list (basically, the racial, skill, and some of those feats-nobody-looks-at >Linguist, etc). I just haven't settled on how many points; looking at two or three out of the 27.

Horwath

Legend
I remain quite tempted to allow everyone to take a racial (XGtE) or Skill (UA) feat upon character creation

add one of those at lvl 1,5,9,13,17 and 20 :p

It would help to get 20 in primary stat cheaper, and if power is concerned...add more monsters. But it gives more flavor into characters.

Personally, and perhaps majority would rather have 50% chance to kill 3 monsters with stronger(more versatile) character rather than 1 monster with weaker(simpler) character.

Relative power stays the same, but more of a hero feeling is in the former.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I am planning on letting my players trade points of their Point Buy to take a 'Starter Feat' from an approved list (basically, the racial, skill, and some of those feats-nobody-looks-at >Linguist, etc). I just haven't settled on how many points; looking at two or three out of the 27.

Maybe an additional 1 point from whatever the cost of the increase would be?

So if they are going from 13 to 14 it would be three points for the feat that gives +1 to an attribute

Remove ads