• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mor's End Craft & Trade Submissions

wizardoftheplains said:
This would be quite a publishing opportunity given all the great work in here.
gary

I've thought about it, but I imagine the people here would prefer it to remain free -- it would take quite a bit of work to collate and present the material. A significant commitment to the work in the future would also be required.

joe b.

jdavis

First Post
jgbrowning said:

I've thought about it, but I imagine the people here would prefer it to remain free -- it would take quite a bit of work to collate and present the material. A significant commitment to the work in the future would also be required.

joe b.

I'd like to see it eventually make it into PDF form that could be distributed from EN World but I would prefer it stayed free. It's a open project it should be distributed that way. (Although I wouldn't mind to see it be attached to a donation to EN World.) Well that's my 2 cents on it, I showed up late to the start of it and I'm doing it for sheer entertainment value myself, I'd just like for it to look good when it's finished.

alsih2o

First Post
ok... so far- this is the begining of the pottery rivalry i am trying to set up, i hope to post stat blocks, floor plans and members of both pottery groups over the next few :)

Pottery

Passal’s Vessels, Wares and Lighting needs

Passal the potter is the 4th generation of his family to provide ceramic wares to the community. His business has faltered greatly since the new ‘ Fine Earthen Wares’ shop has opened and he began looking for new sources of income. While exploring for new cly sources at the rivers edge about 6 months ago Passal came across a dark, chocolate colored clay body one day and took a sample back to his studio for testing. When he sieved it he found the clay contained small beautiful opals.

Passal has been letting his work slip lately because he has been slipping out at night to mine as much of this clay as possible without being seen by his rivals. The door to his home and studio has grown dark with the stains of the brown clay from his comings and goings at people are beginning to notice, and talk. Passal has secretly approached 3 different people in the city to see if they would like to purchase all of the opals.

The stones have a slight magic dweomer and and a faint aura of evil that grows as more of them are gathered. The stones themselves have simply been tainted by resting so long in the clay, which is the remains of an evil being made of stone killed on the site long ago. The stones themselves are relatively harmless, but who knows what will happen when people begin daily use of the wares made form the clay?

Conaill

First Post
Hiya alsih2o, nice to see you drop by!

Could we call upon your pottery expertise a bit? I've got a couple of questions for you, if you wouldn't mind...

- Given the geography around Mor's End (keep in mind that the river flows out of the lake, i.e. left to right), where would you expect to find the clay deposits? I've been assuming they're on the big island west of the city for convenience.

- Special glazes: We've been saying that the special glazes are due to the presence of sapphires within the clay (which makes you opal clay an interesting competitor...). Would a clay laden with sapphires (corundum - Al2O3 with trace impurities of Cr, Fe and Ti, and occasionally vanadium, cobalt and nickel) actually make for a nice glaze (slip?) in reality? If so, what would it look like? If the special qualities of the glaze are likely due to specific impurities in the sapphires, what color would the sapphires themselves be (sapphires can take on a very wide range of colors)?

- How toxic do you think the glazing process would be (in terms of materials used, exhaust, waste water etc.) Bad enough to locate the glazers in the "industrial" district on the east side of Mor's End, along the north bank of the river? The actual Potters are located in Port Jollita for now (west side of the city, on the big island between the two river branches). Do you think such an arrangement is plausible, or should the Glazers and Potters be located in the same place?

Of course, none of this is actually necessary for our fantasy city, but like with all good lies, it's best if there's a trace of the truth to it... :)

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
jdavis said:

I'd like to see it eventually make it into PDF form that could be distributed from EN World but I would prefer it stayed free. It's a open project it should be distributed that way. (Although I wouldn't mind to see it be attached to a donation to EN World.) Well that's my 2 cents on it, I showed up late to the start of it and I'm doing it for sheer entertainment value myself, I'd just like for it to look good when it's finished.

It should be free. It'd be too complicated and far too much legal trouble if it wasn't.

Thanks Jdavis. :) You've really helped propel this project a bunch!

GladiusNP

First Post
alsih2o said:
ok... so far- this is the begining of the pottery rivalry i am trying to set up, i hope to post stat blocks, floor plans and members of both pottery groups over the next few :)

Don't forget about Aaron Leviticus and Amorphius Stanglure! Both are high-level (> than 3rd) potters. I think Amorphius (he's on the 1st page) probably has very little to do with the rivalry, but Aaron is somewhat of a leader for the potters in the Glazer's Guild, so he might have an opinion (though a leader should be impartial, he may not be...).

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
Could we call upon your pottery expertise a bit? I've got a couple of questions for you, if you wouldn't mind...

dude, i revel in chatting about clay at length, but i warn you, my wife ussually pokes me when i am at a party or some such and haven't talked about anythign but clay for an hour or so, and she isn't here :)

- Given the geography around Mor's End (keep in mind that the river flows out of the lake, i.e. left to right), where would you expect to find the clay deposits?

clay flows downhill, as it gets further and further from the source rock that erodes it it takes on more and more impurities, making it useful for various items depending on how far down this line it is.

I've been assuming they're on the big island west of the city for convenience.
i imagine the whole river bank being clay, historical and geologic precedent would bear that out :) probably several kinds of clay in the area :)

- Special glazes: We've been saying that the special glazes are due to the presence of sapphires within the clay (which makes you opal clay an interesting competitor...). Would a clay laden with sapphires (corundum - Al2O3 with trace impurities of Cr, Fe and Ti, and occasionally vanadium, cobalt and nickel) actually make for a nice glaze (slip?) in reality?

we chrome makes green iron makes red, green, blue and brown, depending on temperature, iron does most any color actually, if you talk to it right :) titanium is often used as an opacifier and whitener, vanadium makes green, especially vanadium pentoxide, cobalt is what those incredibly stuniing blues are made of, and nickel can give yellow or green, depending on what oyu do with it.

my wife the goeologist says there is no way there should be saphires in clay, but she doesn't believe in dragons either :) (could happen, off chances )

If so, what would it look like? If the special qualities of the glaze are likely due to specific impurities in the sapphires, what color would the sapphires themselves be (sapphires can take on a very wide range of colors)?

with that range of impurities there is hardly anythign that cannot be done.

- How toxic do you think the glazing process would be (in terms of materials used, exhaust, waste water etc.)

with that range of material you should be able to find a low lying clay that would act as a flux negating your need for lead, so it would be pretty possible to locate the smaller potteries in the city, any decent sized pottery would most likely be located in the most rundown area bvecause of all the smoke form the kilns tho :)

Bad enough to locate the glazers in the "industrial" district on the east side of Mor's End, along the north bank of the river?

yes, but because of smoke, not toxicity

The actual Potters are located in Port Jollita for now (west side of the city, on the big island between the two river branches). Do you think such an arrangement is plausible, or should the Glazers and Potters be located in the same place?
glazers are potters, usually members of the same family, in many traditions the potter just says what should be made, then glazes it, leaving the grunt work of making to the oyunger generations :)

Of course, none of this is actually necessary for our fantasy city, but like with all good lies, it's best if there's a trace of the truth to it... :)

agreed, and i am so emberassed it took me so long to get in here and contribute :)

i planned n doing opne more pottery that makes protoporcelainous wares, if i am stepping on toes please let me know, also let me know if i can be your tech-geek anymore, it isn't often we potters get to spout so much :D

Lalato

Adventurer
i planned on doing one more pottery that makes protoporcelainous wares, if i am stepping on toes please let me know, also let me know if i can be your tech-geek anymore, it isn't often we potters get to spout so much

You're not stepping on any toes... I promise you. :) That info on clays and stuff is great...

So, the glazers guild... potters and all... should be located in the industrial part of town... not Port Jollita.

That's really cool about different clays the further downstream you get... Here's a quick guide to clays in Enheim...

The Big Island (TBI)... clays are good and plentiful here. One of the reason there hasn't been a big push to settle the island is because the clay beds are so good.

North bank (just beyond the city walls)... this is where the original deposits were found. The clay is of a better quality than TBI. However, deposits are starting to dwindle here from over use.

South bank (just beyond the city walls)... just as good as the north bank, but plentiful. This is where the next big push for the really good clays will be. It's a bit more dangerous than the north bank because of the orcs in the nearby forest.

Further downstream... A couple of potters/glazers have made the effort to collect clays further downsream. It's extremely dangerous that far from the city, but the clay is exceptional.

Small island downstream... There is a small island downstream beyond the city walls. On this island " a dark, chocolate colored clay body" can be found. If the the clay is seived "small beautiful opals" can be found. alsih2o... perhaps the entire island are the remain of your evil stone creature.

--sam

Remove ads