• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mortar Masters...?

Darthbelch

First Post
Alright, I had just finished up a game the other day, and one of my players immediately started to play warcraft the frozen throne {great game. :p ] Okay. well, I kept hearing his units scream "Mortar Kombat!" [Lovely reference] and we started talking about a Class [Pretty much for dwarves]. Basically the character would carry around this huge cannon and fire off mortars. Here's the catch, he needs reagents for most of his skills, and his own ammuntions will require him to constantly prepare in advance. Before I actually consider start to work on this, I just wanted to see what other peoples opinion might be. So, should I waste my time on something that sounds interesting, but could possibly end up being a huge waste of time?

drexes

First Post
Well I don't know about conceptually but a quick and dirty fit would be the artificer from Eberron.. I would start there. After all, a mortar could easily use modified wand or rod rules. The artificer already has the craft stuff going for it, and the need to carry 'reagents'. As always why reinvent what you can steal. After all the Romans stood on the shoulders of giants and they conquered the world...(they lost it all too, but hey...)

Drexes

Land Outcast

Explorer
I don'r know Mr. Artificer but...

A 5-level PrC... Siege Engines rules (DMG. 99)... Model it after a Light Catapult (4d6, 150 ft. (100 ft. min.))

Maybe change it to 3d6, 100 ft., 50 ft. min. (if aimed at less than 50 ft. has a -5 penalty to attacks)
And have various spreading ammunition, exploding ammunition, etc... (And more, of your design... Net Shooter, Clatrop Spreader...)

Very Rough Draft:

Dwarven Mortar Master
Mortar Kombat!

Prerequisites: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Dwarven Mortar), Rapid Reload, Profession (Siege Engeneer) 8 ranks

Bab: As Fighter
Saves: Good Reflex, Bad Fortitude and Will
Skills: 4 + Int

Lvl 1 Spreading Ammo (Affects 10 ft square)
Lvl 2
Lvl 3 Mortar Precision (No -5 for aiming within 50 ft, and bonus Far Shot)
Lvl 4
Lvl 5 Explosive Ammo (Automatically threatens a critical)

Darthbelch

First Post
Hmm...

The artificier Idea sounds really good, I'll look into that. and the rough draft idea? Yea, I liked that alot, this class sounds more like a Prestige Class...but..eh, Im going to see what it looks like as a Base Class first, if worst comes to worse, oh well, Its a Prestige then. Ty for the ideas guys, I'll work in it today and post what I come up with later on.

Darthbelch

First Post
(Dwarven Mortar) 3d6, 100 ft., 50 ft. min. (if aimed at less than 50 ft. has a -5 penalty to attacks)
And have various spreading ammunition, exploding ammunition, etc... (And more, of your design... Net Shooter, Caltrop Spreader...)

Mortar Master
Mortar Kombat!

Skills: 4 + Int
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
Lvl 1 1 2 2 0 Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Rapid Reload
Lvl 2 2 3 3 0 Blast Radius
Lvl 3 3 3 3 1 Mortar Precision, Far Shot
Lvl 4 4 4 4 1 Weapon Focus
Lvl 5 5 4 4 1 MultiShot, Precise Shot
Lvl 6 6/1 5 5 2
Lvl 7 7 /2 5 5 2 Greater Blast Radius
Lvl 8 8/3 6 6 2
Lvl 9 9/4 6 6 3 Ammo Specialization
Lvl 10 10/5 7 7 3 Rapid Shot
Lvl 11 11/6/1 7 7 3
Lvl 12 12/7/2 8 8 4 Weapon Specialization
Lvl 13 13/8/3 8 8 4
Lvl 14 14/9/4 9 9 4 Greater Weapon Focus
Lvl 15 15/10/5 9 9 5
Lvl 16 16/11/6/1 10 10 5 Improved Multishot
Lvl 17 17/12/7/2 10 10 5
Lvl 18 18/13/8/3 11 11 6 Bombard
Lvl 19 19/14/9/4 11 11 6
Lvl 20 20/15/10/5 12 12 6 Greater weapon specialization

Blast Radius (Affects 10 ft square)
Greater Blast Radius: (Affects 15 ft square)
Mortar Precision (No -5 for aiming within 50 ft, and bonus Far Shot)
MultiShot- Mortar Master may fire two shells of the same type in a single shot. He may choose to fire two shells of different types for a -2 on the attack roll.
Improved MultiShot: Mortar Master May fire three shells of the same type in a single shot, He may choose to fire any combination of three shells of different types for a -4 on the attack roll.
Bombard: Mortar Master may fire a series of shells as a distraction upon any number of creatures, for every 2 shells fired, only one does the normal damage of 3d5. {Maximum 4. Must wait 3 rounds to cool, or risk destroying the weapon. For every round fired after the maximum four, another 2 rounds must be added to the cool down] upon a single target, forcing the target to take cover or make a Ref save [DC= Level of Mortar Master+ Dex Bonus If any+Rounds fired], if the target is pinned in this way, it receives no dexterity bonus to AC, and takes a -2 on Ref Saves. Last for 1 round for every shell fired.
Ammo Specialization: Any Craft (Ammunition) checks have +4 enhancement bonus.

So thats a very quickly put together rough draft idea. Eh, Im not the most talented when it comes to making Classes from scratch so deal with me here. the DC for Bombard...It didnt..seem right? xD that sounds weird, but Im sure someone else will be able to spot my errors.

WEll, yep, there it is, phase 1 of the mortar master.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

First Post
Code:
Lvl BAB         Fort Ref  Will Special
1   1           2    2    0    Exotic Weapon Proficiency, Rapid Reload
2   2           3    3    0    Blast Radius
3   3           3    3    1    Mortar Precision, Far Shot
4   4           4    4    1    Weapon Focus
5   5           4    4    1    MultiShot, Precise Shot
6   6/1         5    5    2
7   7/2         5    5    2    Greater Blast Radius
8   8/3         6    6    2
9   9/4         6    6    3    Ammo Specialization
10  10/5        7    7    3    Rapid Shot
11  11/6/1      7    7    3
12  12/7/2      8    8    4    Weapon Specialization
13  13/8/3      8    8    4
14  14/9/4      9    9    4    Greater Weapon Focus
15  15/10/5     9    9    5
16  16/11/6/1   10   10   5    Improved Multishot
17  17/12/7/2   10   10   5
18  18/13/8/3   11   11   6    Bombard
19  19/14/9/4   11   11   6
20  20/15/10/5  12   12   6    Greater weapon specialization

I'm picky. Please forgive my reorganization of your chart to match my anal-retentive stadards of legibility. >_<

Land Outcast

Explorer
I presented a 5-lvl PrC because I don't trust Hyperfocused Base Classess... But that's just me.

I've seen people play a warlock (which isn't hyperfocused, just has a signature weapon) and fall into boredom soon enough because of turning into a one trick (+ some magicks) pony.

( Disclaimer: I've played a warlock and had a blast, but then, I'm a die-hard roleplayer and having one combar trick didn't damage my enjoyment...)

Would be like having a spellcaster in an antimagic field when you loose your mortar, or your ammunition.

Last edited:

Darthbelch

First Post
Exactly, thats sorta what this is for. I mean, your lugging around this big freaking cannon, xD It makes for great roleplay, even if it is a hyperfocused class

Remove ads