• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Most annoying / awesome magic items

Croesus

Adventurer
Deck of Many Things

Love the randomness, the greed it inspires, the fear it inspires, the sheer overpowered-ness of it.

Hate that it always seems to derail whatever campaign it's dropped into.

Nevvur

Explorer
I'll second the portable hole. Aside from general utility in game, it once played a key role in a character's downtime smuggling activities.

It's not for lack of imagination, but I'm a big fan of +X weapons and armor. I'm a mathy gamer, and they ping the pleasure center in my brain without all the abstract thinking that goes into the creative application of more "interesting" items.

That said, while I've never DMd for nor belonged to a party that acquired one, the Immovable Rod is super high on my cool stuff list.

WitchyD

Explorer
I love the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity. I don't think of it as an annoying cursed item, I think of it as a fun way to toy with gender norms and stereotypes.

I hate all of the cursed items in the AD&D DMG that more or less read: "this looks exactly like a really cool magic item and you cannot find out that this is cursed until you try it -- and when you do, make a saving throw or die."

Fralex

Explorer
I tend to like magic items with no obvious use or no predictable use. Items like Alchemy Jugs challenge the players to make the ability to have a regenerating mayonnaise supply useful, and items like the Wand of Wonder or Bag of Beans can take the story in directions no human is capable of otherwise inventing.

I'm just glad that Wand of the War Mage & Rod of the Pact Keeper exist to provide bonuses to spell attack rolls. Bounded Accuracy be damned! :p

I had an interesting encounter with a water weird vs PC w/ Ring of Water Walking. The weird was unable to drag the PC under the surface of the water as long as she remained standing.

Arial Black

Adventurer
Just goes to show that different people like different things.

I love the Ring of Sustenance. I think that of all the (low-cost) magic items I'd like to have in real life, this ring is it! Six extra hours per day??? Heck, yeah! Although, I'd probably spend those hours sleeping or something...

I hate the Deck of Many Things! "Hey, friend! Would you like to draw four cards from this deck? Each card has a 50% chance to kill you!"

"....NO!!! Do you think I'm on crack? Who'd do such an insane thing?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads