• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most best combat monster for Level 1

PinkRose

Explorer
I have a brand new D&D group I'm DMing.
As in the players know very little about D&D and any lore.
My question for the community is...

What is the mostest bestest solo monster for them to encounter?
Troll? Rust Monster? Very small Dragon? Kruthick? Owlbear? Treant? Medusa?
Any ideas?
I want to WOW them as a side quest.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
This depends a little on party composition, level, and edition of the game.
For some canonical D&D fun I would go for the Owlbear, but the Troll is also entertaining for that moment when you realise it just. Won't. Die. And provided they have some random resources at hand can start to try to work out how to do so.

the Jester

Legend
It really depends on the edition.

2e and earlier, go ogre.

3e, an ogre is a tpk waiting to happen for a first-level party. Maybe some kind of low/mid-level undead that doesn't have energy drain, paralysis or require a magic weapon to hit?

4e, that white dragon solo is a good choice.

5e playtest, maybe the owlbear?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
As others have said, the edition's the thing. For "old skewl" I'm prone to agree with the owlbear or ogre for any group.

The troll, as Chris_Nightwing points out, is brilliant for the new players [and/or 1st level characters] for that precious "OH $#!T!" moment when they just can't get it to stop attacking. But I personally wouldn't use a troll is you don't have, at least, a mage [or any other PC] with a fire [or acid] spell/equipment they can use or some environmental resource (a nearby campfire, a lit torch in a sconce, a pool of oil that the PCs can dip stuff in and then frantically try to get their tinderbox out to light it! ...

<waxing nostalgic> Aaaahhh. I love the smell of panicking party members in the morning...</waxing>

ANYwho...some resource that a smart/crafty/ingenious player can use/grab to do the oh-so-necessary fire damage to stop regen.

Other suggestions, a "Bargle": Low-middling level MU or Necromancer or someone that has spells/magics the party doesn't or hasn't seen before. A fireball or lightning bolt against 1st level PCs also makes for a wonderful "Oh S--t!" moment. You don't have to KILL them with it. Say, the evil wizard uses it on the cavern/chamber ceiling or doorway to bring it down. The party knows this guy's got "big guns" and [should] run like hell.

Low-mid-level (like 3rd to 5th, if your party is 1st) Illusionists are GREAT against low-level parties if used creatively...and the PCs always seem to get so ticked when they turn invisible and flee to fight another day. Insta-recurring Villain/Budding Party Nemesis.

I know it's become commonplace with certain editions, but I am just so anti-"slaying baby/mini-dragons" at 1st level. Hate it. Hate everything about it. Leave them out or make them something so impressively huge and powerful the party has no option but to flee in unabashed panic under the overwhelming pressure of the creature's fear aura...which by certain editions' books, I believe a 1st level PC wouldn't have any choice but to do. Fight and BEAT one?! Forget it.

A medusa is tough! Could be a great fight, though. Especially if you have some sneaky/smart players that will come up with some ambush, tactics or traps. Though I'm kinda a softy with low level characters (and new players!) when it comes to those kinda "permanent badness/insta-death" creature. So I'd prolly make sure there was some story-based way to turn any "statued" PC back if the party was successful. Easiest thing to do, a.k.a. "the Saturday morning/after school cartoon solution" (which not everyone enjoys) is: If you kill the medusa then for anyone she turned to stone, the effect just wears off and everyone's fine....A mystic fountain of stone to flesh potion in the vicinity also works well. B-)

That's mostly what I have. I'd stay away from aerial creatures with a 1st level party...and probably nothing (in old school terms) above 5 HD.

Good luck and let us know what you go with/how it works out.
--SD

S'mon

Legend
I know it's become commonplace with certain editions, but I am just so anti-"slaying baby/mini-dragons" at 1st level. Hate it. Hate everything about it. Leave them out or make them something so impressively huge and powerful the party has no option but to flee in unabashed panic under the overwhelming pressure of the creature's fear aura...which by certain editions' books, I believe a 1st level PC wouldn't have any choice but to do. Fight and BEAT one?! Forget it.

OT - I don't like PCs fighting baby/mini dragons either (I hated all those 3e CR5+ 4'-long 'Small' dragons); the 4e MV level 1 White is Large. I would use it in a campaign where the demographics are such that 4e PCs are already badass at 1st level, eg it would suit an Heroic Tier Only (level 1-10) campaign. I would not use it in eg my Forgotten Realms campaign, where the power demographics are such that you can only expect to beat a Large dragon at about 8th level+.

In OD&D-1e the default White Dragon has 5 hit dice and is suitable for ca 3rd+ level PCs.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
OT - I don't like PCs fighting baby/mini dragons either (I hated all those 3e CR5+ 4'-long 'Small' dragons); the 4e MV level 1 White is Large. I would use it in a campaign where the demographics are such that 4e PCs are already badass at 1st level, eg it would suit an Heroic Tier Only (level 1-10) campaign. I would not use it in eg my Forgotten Realms campaign, where the power demographics are such that you can only expect to beat a Large dragon at about 8th level+.

In OD&D-1e the default White Dragon has 5 hit dice and is suitable for ca 3rd+ level PCs.

Oh, yeah totally. Agreed. I should have been more specific. By "mini" I didn't just mean "small", but was going for more "low enough power-wise that a 1st level party should/could defeat it." I would expect in 4e it is totally doable/makes sense.

Was a 1e white only 5 HD? Huh. Could give it a shot, I suppose. [in a 1e-type game, I mean] But I would expect casualties.

We need to know the edition.

If this was 3e, the ogre wouldn't work well. There's a chance of a TPK, but a wizard who prepped Color Spray or Sleep could defeat it in one round. (The rest of the party just needs to stab it while it can't move.)

In 4e, any level 1 solo would do. Preferably MM3 or afterward, to prevent excessive grind. There's actually a level 1 solo in the Dark Sun Creature Catalog, but it's only iconic to Dark Sun.

Remove ads