• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most broken prestige classes?

drexes

First Post
New one I've come across that I think could be in the "overpowered to broken" continuum is the Fochlucan Lyrist. Takes a lot to get into that class, but full attack bonus, full bard spells and full druid spells and bardic music/knowledge. Plus I think (I don't have it in front of me) they get d10 hit dice. Whew! They have a lot of flavor, but man, they get a lot of goodies.

Drexes

gnfnrf

First Post
hong said:
Which bit is this?

In the Rainbow Servant prestige class, it explains that sorcerers are likely to take the class to increase their spells known by adding the domain spells.

On page 20, it explains that when sorcerers gain domain access, they must spend spells known slots normally to learn the spells; they can't just automatically add them to the list.

This really nerfs the 10th level ability.

Also, page 20 does not account for warmage/beguiler style casters at all, so it is an open question how these abilities function for them.

--
gnfnrf

kayn99

First Post
It is funny for I have a very different view of things. Some of these classes are not bad in a normal game. Our group is very much into the role-playing aspect of the game and PrC do not exist on their own. Players should have to show a commitment to something to join a PrC. Just letting players dip into this and that should not be allowed by a good DM. The system really was not set up to protect against that type of abuse. The game becomes less game and more of a math equation... What + what + what = the ultimate class. When you allow players to start abusing the system like that, you then need to start powering up monsters, standard magic items look like toys, and some other players get left in the dust. A rule that many games I have seen that are tired of this creative math, is that once you enter a PrC you must finish it before adopting another PrC. Well just my thoughts

Kayn

gnfnrf

First Post
Quartz said:
I don't have the book in front of me, but does it mean that you may only get +7 levels of spells but +10 levels of caster level? Like the Practiced Spellcaster feat?

No, it's full caster progression. It's the section headed "Spells Per Day/Spells Known" exactly like in any other prestige class.

--
gnfnrf

DreadArchon

First Post
drexes said:
New one I've come across that I think could be in the "overpowered to broken" continuum is the Fochlucan Lyrist. Takes a lot to get into that class, but full attack bonus, full bard spells and full druid spells and bardic music/knowledge. Plus I think (I don't have it in front of me) they get d10 hit dice. Whew! They have a lot of flavor, but man, they get a lot of goodies.

You forgot "Never take multiclass penalties again and Druids may wear metal armor" at level 1.

I have a player going for that right now, except that he's only taking one level each of Druid and Bard and he's applying the bonuses to Cleric and Warlock progression (Warlocks can Shatter and Dimension Door at will... !). I'm allowing it. It's good, but not broken.

Last edited:

Remove ads