• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Difficult Movie to Watch?

He also has fowl, geese, chicken, ducks, a dog, a bunch of sheep, 2 llamas, a very annoying goat and 3 children. Some people keep those things :D

Happens where subburb meets country, or rather intermingles with it.
Who would anyone want to keep those things? Kids are a pain in the rear.

Elf Witch

First Post
You are starting to generalize pretty wildly here. 'People' do all kinds of things. That doesn't mean it's representative of a majority.

I'd also like to point out that there are reasons besides 'entertainment' to watch movies. Many of the movies I consider difficult to watch are in that category. Often my motive is my wish to learn something, e.g. I wanted to see Melancholia because it gave me some insight into the mind of a person suffering from depressions. I didn't feel 'entertained' by the movie, but I still felt it was time well spent and the movie is definitely worth watching. Basically, my motivation to watch such movies is similar to why I watch documentaries. A movie with a strong narrative and believable characters can work better to understand many topics than the best documentary could.

That may be why you watch some movies but not me first and foremost I want to be entertained. If I want to learn about depression I will read about it not watch a movie with how a depressed person faces the end of the world. BTW way depressed people don't have a hive mind and don't face all situations the same. The theory behind the movie is that depressed people face crisis in a much calmer state of mind because of the depression. That is not true of all depressed people some depressed people because of the depression react and overreact to crisis.

People go to the movies for a lot of reasons like I said I go fpr entertainment. I have found that watching a movie turns off the busy part of my brain that never shuts up. It is better than Valium for me to handle stress and anxiety.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Err, what? Did we watch the same movie? Are you maybe mistaking it for something else, e.g. Species? Please explain!

I never saw Species.

Alien is all shock effects and Weaver being pretty and screaming. I don't get what people like about it.

Mallus

Legend
Alien is all shock effects...
Well it is a horror movie.

... and Weaver being pretty and screaming.
I've heard Weaver's Ellen Ripley described as one of the toughest and best female characters in cinema. Many times, in fact. You are the first person to describe her as "just pretty and screaming".

It's a unique impression of the character, I'll give you that.

You know movie I find hard to watch? Charlie Kaufman's Synechdoce, New York. I love the film, but by the time Philip Seymour Hoffman finshes the funeral monologue [video=youtube;Z9PzSNy3xj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9PzSNy3xj0[/video], I just want to cry.

Last edited:

I've heard Weaver's Ellen Ripley described as one of the toughest and best female characters in cinema. Many times, in fact. You are the first person to describe her as "just pretty and screaming".

It's a unique impression of the character, I'll give you that.
Yup, agreed on all points.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Well it is a horror movie.

Heh, most people I met in person went on about how cool she looked and how screamy the movie was, but no one took it seriously beyond that. The story in itself is hard to bear and most people I talked to agree that it was awful, except when they were slightly drunk.

And I forgot one movie. Contagion (2011). Well done for most part of the story, except the loooong parts with father/daugher/boyfriend stuff... ok not that long but they felt like ages to me... And while the acting was ok, the camera action wasn't, and the way colors were dulled out let me think of a 70s movie that's spent too much time in the sun.

Remove ads