• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Favoritest DM Scree Evar?

Scribble

First Post
What's your favorite DM screen of all time?

It doesn't have to be for D&D, and it doesn't have to be for reasons of quality or usability...

Mine is a screen for basic (I think) where on the back it has a sales blurb that starts off: Three Crocodiles? No problem!

that line became an in joke with my gameing group for years o come... I could still utter the line to anyone of them, and they would laugh.

Mindseye

Explorer
My favorite is the screen for Hollow Earth Expedition..............awesome art and unbelievably thick.

The one released for Dark Heresy this year was also really nice.

Treebore

First Post
The Kenzer screen. Its the only screen I bought 4 copies of. Every other screen I only got 1 copy of. In fact that screen was one of my biggest regrets about quitting playing 3E. Fortunately there is so much good stuff on it I still use it for my C&C home game.

Shemeska

Adventurer
The screen from the 2e Planescape campaign setting box.

The numbers and charts on the back are completely useless for me running in 3.x except for the planes diagram, but the Lady of Pain on the front of the screen makes up for that. Awesome image. Worth buying an extra copy of the box set just to have a backup in case the screen gets damaged.

Hodgie

First Post
I made my favorite DM screen a few years back. Black picture matting board and a thick canvas (an unused messenger bag strap) connecting the panels with thread. It made for a really durable hinge that also looks pretty nice. Then those little black clips to attach tables on my side and pertinent information on the other. The best part, though, was the size/shape. I like an unobstructed view so it is only seven inches tall. Panels are 8", 10", 10", 8". Perfect for me and cost about $3.

My favourite was probably the AD&D screen with the Dungeon Master opening the doors on the front. Very classic and very cool.

When I was running my Ravenloft campaign I loved using the DM screen with the werewolf in front of the full moon on it. Really set the tone.

One screen I loved but didn't use much was the GM screen that came with the Hero Quest board game. The reason I liked it was that it was only about half the height of a normal GM screen; perfect for shielding die rolls and adventure notes but not so big as to act like a wall between the DM and players. In fact, I'm thinking of digging it out again for a game I'm currently running.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
My favorite was the "Combat Shield and Mini Adventure" accessory, made for the Basic and Expert rules. I still like to play that little mini-adventure every now and then, even though it is as cheesy and contrived as they come.

Treasure of the Hideous One, indeed. :)

am181d

Adventurer
Citizen Games' now (sadly) out-of-print MasterScreen. Super-durable. Customizable. Switch out for whatever tables you need. The only screen I'm every going to need, ever. One of the ten best gaming accessories of all time.

Orius

Legend
Well, I looked at the title of this topic and thought, "Huh? As a DM, I've never needed a big pile of loose broken rock in my games." Then I saw it was a typo. :p

Anyway, I don't really care one way or other about DM screens. The most useful was probably the second generic 2e screen that had the DM screen and the Player's Option screen. Lots of useful information. The screen from the Tales of the Lance boxed set had good art, but that screen wasn't really all that useful outside DL.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads