• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most iconic non-fantasy adventures?

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Everyone knows the names of the most famous D&D modules, those that are so iconic that most gamers can swap stories of their experiences.

What are the "must-play" modules of non-fantasy games?

Here's a few I can think of, but I'm sure there's more.
- Call of Cthulhu has several highly acclaimed ones, such as Masks of Nyarlathotep, Beyond the Mountains of Madness, Horror on the Orient Express, Unseen Masters, etc.
- Paranoia's Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues is bandied about as one of the best and has an Origins award to show for it.
- Traveller modules The Kinunir and Twilight's Peak both won early Origins Awards.
- People have told me Jail Break is a great scenario for Unknown Armies.

(I'm specifically not including other fantasy games like WFRP and Pendragon, though I know they have well-loved modules, too.)

So when you think "best non-D&D modules ever published", what springs to mind?

What are the iconic modules for Star Wars? d20 Modern? World of Darkness? Mutants & Masterminds? Fading Suns? Deadlands? Savage Worlds? GURPS? Top Secret? etc...

Do these games have introductory modules, and if so, are these automatically the ones that gamers of the future will look back on and share stories about?

Last edited:

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
A few more

Gamma World - Legion of Gold was the one I have seen, heard of, run, and played in the most.

Star Wars - Tatooine Manhunt is my nominee, but there have been a lot of them over the years.

Twilight 2000 would have to be the Krakow/Warsaw adventures

Shadowrun - Harlequin is probably the big one from the early days. Could be Universal Brotherhood where certain iconic bad guys first appeared. Food Fight is the classic intro scenario.

Champions - Island of Doctor Destroyer?

Runequest - Snake Pipe Hollow

The non-D&D games were not as reliant on published adventures as a general rule, so it's harder to nail this down - less of the shared experience thing working for them.

Big Rubble, for Runequest (although that might have been a supplement with a different name? Pavis? we played in it - I didn't own it).

second Island of Dr. Destroyer for Champions.

possum

First Post
Star Wars - Tatooine Manhunt is my nominee, but there have been a lot of them over the years.

I've heard from people who played the WEG version of the rules that it's likely that a majority of the people who played WEG had gone through that adventure. I just wish that I could find a copy of it.

Eosin the Red

First Post
So when you think "best non-D&D modules ever published", what springs to mind?

Hudson City Blues for Dark Champions is my nomination. A dark and violent world similar to Gotham is in the midst of a gang war -- only this war is different and your vigilante is sucked right into the middle of it. There are psychopathic good guys, honorable bad guys, and a race against the growing awareness of the worlds first sentient program while the body count keeps climbing.

I do agree that Island of the Destroyer is the iconic Champions adventure most people associate with the Hero System.

Remove ads