• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most mispronounced monster names

Scylla

First Post
Regarding the "drow" pronunciation:

Way back at Gen Con '88 (I had to check my signed Player's Handbook to verify the date) my friend & I were having an argument about this. I insisted drow rhymed with row (as in "row, row, row your boat") and my friend Mark insited it rhymed with cow.

We cornered Gary Gygax at the bar, and while he signed our handbooks we asked him, and he gave an apologetic look (the "I've made people unhappy with this answer" sort) and said gently, "I've always pronounced it 'drow'."
My friend was right. (And I still say it my way.) :\

Dr. Awkward said:
I used to game with a guy who pronounced "inventory" as "in-VENT-ory", as though it were some sort of hall in which inventing took place.
When I was in the Navy, I had a supervisor with a thick Tagalog accent and a ruined voice (super-gravelly). He would tell us it was time for "im-BEN-tury," but he had to repeat himself three or for times and would get really irked.

davidschwartznz

First Post
Stormrunner said:
I've never heard "puh-LAY-din", but I've heard "puh-LODDIN" a lot. Since the word is derived from Arabic, shouldn't it be "paw-luh-DEEN"? Oh well.
It's not Arabic (althoguh I've heard it from several sources), it's French from the Latin 'palatine', an adjective meaning 'of the palace', that is answering directly to the monarch.

Elephant

First Post
sniffles said:
I have a friend who insists on pronouncing lich as "lick".

I know a guy who does the same thing. Since he started playing D&D in the early 1970s, I figure he knows what he's talking about.

countgray

First Post
I have always pronouced Bullette as Byoo-let, with the stress on the last syllable.

The first syllable is pronounced as in beauty and the last syllable rhymes with the last syllable of Corvette.

guyjin

Explorer
paladin

before I got edjimicated, I pronounced 'paladin' like "PLAID-in".

Strangely, I had no problems with Galeb duhr.

Also, I pronounced "chitin" to sound like 'chicken' up until I got into college science classes. Amusing how not wanting to be laughed at in class can cause you to conform to the professor's pronunciation. [wether it's right or not ;) ]

Agamon

Adventurer
Okay, so should 'coup de grace' be pronounced 'kew deh graws' or 'kew deh graw'? Between that and the bullette, I've been fighting with other gamers I know over pronunciation of French terms in D&D. So far I've been overruled by an ignorant TSR staffer for bulette...

I have less of a battle with Chimera (ky-MEER-ah), but I've heard so many different ways to pronounce that, it's not funny...really, it's not. ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads