• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most overrated "broken" things?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Thurbane said:
To be hosed by a shapechanging spellcaster is one thing; for a fighter to get hosed at fighting by another warrior-class, that's just salt in the wound... :p
Heh, I view it differently: IMHO it's nice that there's a primary warrior who can stand up next to a Cleric or Druid with pride, even at high level. :)

Cheers, -- N

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Thurbane said:
To be hosed by a shapechanging spellcaster is one thing; for a fighter to get hosed at fighting by another warrior-class, that's just salt in the wound... :p

First, a fighter with splatbooks (especially PHB II) can compete with a warblade as far as damage output and combat effectiveness. That said, the warblade will be more fun to play because they have many varied things they can do while the fighter will be stuck with one or at most two tricks.

To get this thread slightly back on track - I find all the threads on how the warblade is "broken" kind of funny - because compared to the other classes in Bo9S it's the least powerful - especially compared to the crusader. Yet no one really says anything about the other classes (or at least much more rarely)

Mort said:
To get this thread slightly back on track - I find all the threads on how the warblade is "broken" kind of funny - because compared to the other classes in Bo9S it's the least powerful - especially compared to the crusader. Yet no one really says anything about the other classes (or at least much more rarely)
I don't own the book of 9 swords, but I do know that I hear the Crusader popping up all the time as an effective build, or even for dipping to put some spine in a character.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The Blow Leprechaun said:
I don't own the book of 9 swords, but I do know that I hear the Crusader popping up all the time as an effective build, or even for dipping to put some spine in a character.

I'm just talking about how whenever the word "broken" comes up - warblade is always touted, yet really the crusader is a much more effective class - for dipping or as a straight build (that's IMO of course, but it's pretty easy to back up)

Mort said:
I'm just talking about how whenever the word "broken" comes up - warblade is always touted, yet really the crusader is a much more effective class - for dipping or as a straight build (that's IMO of course, but it's pretty easy to back up)
I wasn't disagreeing with you ;)

FireLance

Legend
Mort said:
I think it's because the crusader tends to get compared to the paladin, while the warblade tends to get compared to the fighter.

Crusader abilities and paladin abilities are different enough that the comparison of which is better does not seem so stark.

However, warblade abilities overlap with fighter ablities somewhat. The warblade also gets (slightly delayed) access to fighter-only feats and a small number of bonus feats (albeit a shorter and generaly less useful list). In addition, it gets a better hit dice, more skill points, a better skill list, the ability to switch out weapon-specific feats, and a few other advantages in combat.

Some people have advised that the warblade looks less broken when it is compared to the barbarian instead. :)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Enough.

You know what? If someone has a thread that discusses something you don't like, but it's peripheral to the main conversation, don't derail their thread. Be polite and start a new one - heck, politely link to it, even - but don't start arguing about minutiae.

And you know what else? If someone starts derailing the thread, report the problem instead of arguing. I'm appalled that this sunk to the level of personal insults before someone reported it.

At this point, I want no discussion whatsoever about the spiked chain. Time to move on, guys, on both sides.

As always, please email me with questions, complaints, or discussion.

Tetsubo

First Post
Felon said:
OK, it's pretty clear where we stand now. Discussion on the spiked chain has progressed to the point where Tetsubo's veneer of having a rational objection has been stripped away by logical counter-arguements which concede that the SC may well be unrealistic, but point out that D&D is filled with things that are no less outlandish. He's quite willing to dismiss this and any other objective statment by shaking his head in denial and uttering "it's absurd...it's silly...it's stupid..." in an infinite loop. He's willing to state his opinions as indisputable fact. He's willing to make crazed statements about insulting the warrior tradition and that having a spiked chain would destroy his gaming experience. Apparently, he feels that his hobby of reading books about weapons and drawing pictures of weapons gives him some rare and special perspective that's inaccessable to others.

Tetsubo, you should really consider what you think you're accomplishing with this behavior that has become something of a pattern. if you think it's a dumb weapon, and you just want to share your opinion and move on, that's no big thing. But if you have an opinion which you feel compelled to throw out at any available opportunity with the intent of provoking responses from others, then you have some onus to entertain reaonable discussion. In other words, play fair. If you feel compelled to rebutt every rebuttal, then it ought to consist of more than just digging your heels in and dismissing logic with outrageous, emotionally-charged denials and reiterating your initial position. Otherwise, the end result is just baiting people and making a spectacle of yourself. Is that what you're trying to accomplish? Whether or not it is, it's disruptive behavior.

I have no desire to be disruptive. My point seems to have been missed by others. I won't post in this thread again.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
To be fair, Warblade looks a lot better than it actually is. It's hard to blame people who read the class casually and misunderstand its limits.

For example, Warblades get Bonus Feats. But the Warblade chooses from a list that's pathetically restricted relative to what a Fighter could choose for his (identically named) class feature.

Cheers, -- N

Erywin

First Post
When we first got Bo9S and I had a look over the classes, never did I relate the Warblade to a fighter, a barbarian yes, fighter no. That being said Blarg is currently playing a gestalted Crusader/Rogue (fighter feats instead of SA) and I haven't found it overpowering yet, majority of the group is 10th level.

As far as broken goes, I am really getting frustrated with the abrupt jaunt ability (wizard alternate class feature from PHB 2?)

Cheers,
E

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads