• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most overrated "broken" things?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Erywin said:
As far as broken goes, I am really getting frustrated with the abrupt jaunt ability (wizard alternate class feature from PHB 2?)
It's easily the strongest variant ability in the book.

And Conjurers have already gotten a lot of love in the supplements...

-- N

evilbob

Explorer
I agree with some of the general sentiments that rockstarfozzy gave: most of the time, trying to evaluate a "broken" thing in D&D is kinda pointless. In my opinion, "broken" means "challenges the DM in new ways." Personally, I enjoy being challenged as a DM, so I don't mind having a player try something that others might consider "broken." To me, it's more of a test of my ability as a DM to roll with it, and make sure that in the end, it gets balanced - and that everyone has fun. (At the end of the day, I've had far more problems with specific player personalities impeding fun than with any game mechanic I've ever read.)

Even the infamous Book of Exalted Deeds can be contained by a DM willing to work with their players and be careful about how the power is used.

evilbob said:
Even the infamous Book of Exalted Deeds can be contained by a DM willing to work with their players and be careful about how the power is used.
I think this last point is the best one, too. DM's need to be on top of the rules because a lot of times what's broken is merely misunderstood or misused.

I ran a Psion once and missed the bit about not being able to use more total power points on augmentation than your manifester level. Believe me, if you waive that restriction, psionics are broken. But it's because I misread the rules. I still think psionics are powerful, but definitely not broken.

So maybe everything is an example of an overrated broken thing!

BadMojo

First Post
You know, I would have thought that Piratecat's instructions in big red text just a few posts up would have been enough... for ignoring them and discussing spiked chains you are banned for 1 day - Plane Sailing

Last edited by a moderator:

rgard

Adventurer
Hi, I hadn't heard that the Ur-Priest was broken, but when I read the class description, I thought it looked great and I should give it a try. Used it with wizard and mystic theurge.

It was fun through the 10th level of the prc. Then it wasn't as much fun:

1. Overcoming SR is a pain though not impossible.
2. You cap out at one 9th level spell...unless you have god-like wisdom.
3. All the while you did burn some precious feat slots and probably multiclassed to qualify for the feat. Who needs Iron Will when you will have an outrageous will save?

The party Cleric should be laughing at the Ur-Priest in any epic level campaign.

Thanks,
Rich

Cameron

First Post
evilbob said:
I agree with some of the general sentiments that rockstarfozzy gave: most of the time, trying to evaluate a "broken" thing in D&D is kinda pointless. In my opinion, "broken" means "challenges the DM in new ways." Personally, I enjoy being challenged as a DM, so I don't mind having a player try something that others might consider "broken." To me, it's more of a test of my ability as a DM to roll with it, and make sure that in the end, it gets balanced - and that everyone has fun. (At the end of the day, I've had far more problems with specific player personalities impeding fun than with any game mechanic I've ever read.)

I get ya, man. I totally get ya.

Sometimes, I see all the DMs that scream "broken this, broken that" and I think "lazy 'tards!" Those DMs that nerf this or that because it doesn't conform to their views on what DnD should be (usually DMs that think fondly of the good old days of 1E) just makes me roll my eyes. I played 1E. It wasn't as good or less hack and slash than 3.x...

Cameron

First Post
rgard said:
Hi, I hadn't heard that the Ur-Priest was broken, but when I read the class description, I thought it looked great and I should give it a try. Used it with wizard and mystic theurge.

It was fun through the 10th level of the prc. Then it wasn't as much fun:

1. Overcoming SR is a pain though not impossible.
2. You cap out at one 9th level spell...unless you have god-like wisdom.
3. All the while you did burn some precious feat slots and probably multiclassed to qualify for the feat. Who needs Iron Will when you will have an outrageous will save?

The party Cleric should be laughing at the Ur-Priest in any epic level campaign.

Thanks,
Rich
The beauty of the Ur Priest is for you to summon an Effreet and steal his 3 wish/day thing and use it on yourself. Multiple times. But that's its only schtick. The whole world hates an Ur Priest and all the religions try to kill one on sight.

Sublime Chord is probably a better accelerated casting prc.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
With reguard to individual positions on the spiked chain issue...

It's my opinion that if a single game element can cause this much contention, it's broken.

You know, I would have thought that Piratecat's instructions in big red text just a few posts up would have been enough... for ignoring them and bringing up spiked chains again you are banned for 1 day - Plane Sailing

Last edited by a moderator:

Thurbane

First Post
Mort said:
First, a fighter with splatbooks (especially PHB II) can compete with a warblade as far as damage output and combat effectiveness. That said, the warblade will be more fun to play because they have many varied things they can do while the fighter will be stuck with one or at most two tricks.

To get this thread slightly back on track - I find all the threads on how the warblade is "broken" kind of funny - because compared to the other classes in Bo9S it's the least powerful - especially compared to the crusader. Yet no one really says anything about the other classes (or at least much more rarely)
Hey, I'm not a Bo9S hater (even though I traded mine in on a copy of Cityscape), and I'm not even sure there's much "broken" in it...it just does not fit thematically with any of my games, and I have no real desire to add another sub system of rules to the game (same for psionics and incarnum).

If it works for you and your game, I say go for it. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads