• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Played FRPG of 2010

Which games did you play, even once, in 2010? Check all that apply.

I played a crap-load of 4E this year. Between running a campaign, playing encounters and playing in a dark sun game. I also ran basic and a song of fire and ice in sporadic intervals between 4E.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Alright. Looks like the soup has been spoiled by too many chefs, or something. Apparently, one cannot mention 4th Edition and Pathfinder in the same sentence on the Internet, without kicking off a popularity contest.

So let's turn down the noise a little bit. If you add up all of the write-in votes, ignore all of the anonymous votes, and if you strip out all of the votes for D&D and Pathfinder, you end up with the following (as of 4:00 p.m. PST):

1.34% Amber Diceless RPG
1.34% Palladium
1.34% Scion
1.34% Spirit of the Century
1.34% Traveller
2.01% Ars Magica
2.01% Rolemaster
2.68% Burning Wheel
2.68% Grimm
3.36% Shadowrun
4.03% Castles & Crusades
4.03% G.U.R.P.S.
4.03% HackMaster
4.70% Exalted
6.04% Legend of the Five Rings
8.05% Savage Worlds
9.40% Mouseguard
12.08% Dragon Age
14.77% Warhammer
14.77% Everything Else
--------------------------
Total number of votes: 149
Total number of voters: 89

I'm especially interested in the bottom half of this list. With the exception of Mouseguard (which I love,) I haven't played any of these games.

I'm getting a bit bored with Castles & Crusades, and it's hard to get a group excited about roleplaying a mouse (even a heroic mouse.) So I'm sort of shopping around for a new FRPG to pitch to my gaming group. If you have played them, I'd love to hear what you thought of them. What is so great about Savage Worlds, Dragon Age, Lo5R, and Warhammer?

ronin

Explorer
Most of my gaming this year was D20 Modern. I finished up a campaign that I was running set in the modern day and then we started another campaign set in the 1860s ran by another DM in the group.

I do play in a weekly online Pathfinder Legacy of Fire campaign that's been alot of fun too. I also played some 3.5, Savage Worlds, and some 1e but those were basically one shots.

All in all a good year!

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Sadly misread the poll and voted for the two games I, well, played the most ;p

I've had three 4e games and three BESM games this year, compared to two 3e and one 2e game, with a potential L5R game coming up to start off the new year.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
Alright. Looks like the soup has been spoiled by too many chefs, or something. Apparently, one cannot mention 4th Edition and Pathfinder in the same sentence on the Internet, without kicking off a popularity contest.

So let's turn down the noise a little bit. If you add up all of the write-in votes, ignore all of the anonymous votes, and if you strip out all of the votes for D&D and Pathfinder, you end up with the following (as of 4:00 p.m. PST):

1.34% Amber Diceless RPG
1.34% Palladium
1.34% Scion
1.34% Spirit of the Century
1.34% Traveller
2.01% Ars Magica
2.01% Rolemaster
2.68% Burning Wheel
2.68% Grimm
3.36% Shadowrun
4.03% Castles & Crusades
4.03% G.U.R.P.S.
4.03% HackMaster
4.70% Exalted
6.04% Legend of the Five Rings
8.05% Savage Worlds
9.40% Mouseguard
12.08% Dragon Age
14.77% Warhammer
14.77% Everything Else
--------------------------
Total number of votes: 149
Total number of voters: 89

I'm especially interested in the bottom half of this list. With the exception of Mouseguard (which I love,) I haven't played any of these games.

I'm getting a bit bored with Castles & Crusades, and it's hard to get a group excited about roleplaying a mouse (even a heroic mouse.) So I'm sort of shopping around for a new FRPG to pitch to my gaming group. If you have played them, I'd love to hear what you thought of them. What is so great about Savage Worlds, Dragon Age, Lo5R, and Warhammer?

Sadly I don't know much about te bottom but I can share what I do know.

Shadowrun is nice D6 mechanics fairly low powered Cyberpunk/Magic. Supports many playstyles. I would love a Fantasy version.

Hackmaster is AD&D that doesn't take itself too seriously. Big crit tables here and I think
fumbles too.

Rolemaster I loved but adventurers often meet a messy end. D% resolution mechanics Endless crit tables.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend

Savage Worlds is just like it's tagline - Fast, Furious, Fun. I don't generally like to wing things - prefer to have stuff preplanned so its "fair" - but you can model just about anything you want on the fly in just about any genre. You could take a 4E, 3E, 2E, 1E or BECMI adventure and with no prior prep, run it and it'd work. You could convert Rifts, Gamma World and half a dozen other games to Savage Worlds in 5-10 minutes. The system's simple, but it's so damn powerful I almost don't feel like using any other system.

L5R is deep when it comes to immersion. It has such a rich world it's easy and fun to get into the RP side of the game. If you sit down with the book, it does a great presentation of getting you into a world that is completely foreign to our western eyes - and quite magical in its wonderous ways. Combat tends to pretty much be the option of last resort; all it takes is one hit and you're out of action. Often, finding a non-combat solution to a problem (and minding your tongue) is the best way to go. That doesn't mean combat doesn't have its place; you just have to strike fast, hard and decisively - and only take on those battles you either can't avoid or you're sure you'll win. Oh, and never trust a Scorpion - he never needs to draw a katana to dishonor you and maneuver you into destroying your own foolish self.

WHF I've only read through, but it's a darker cast of D&D. It's a world where heroes come to a cruel end, and yet you've really got to be a hero to survive longer than those around you. It's a world surrounded by decay, ignorance and hate, but somehow you've got to push beyond that to make your mark in it.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Basic D&D, AD&D1e, D&D3.5e, Pathfinder, Castles & Crusades, Mage: the Ascension, Primetime Adventures. Don't think there were any others this year - usually there's a bit of Call of Cthulhu or Traveller in there as well...

Remove ads