• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Powerful D&D Game Ever

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Our current Planescape game is the most powerful D&D game I've ever run or played in. We decided going in that we would play to at least "epic" levels--21+. However, given our unique "everything in a book is allowed" uber min-maxed gestalt characters, the PC's are handling the "30th level" adventure from Dungeon Magazine #123 with only a few major setbacks.

It's still undeniably D&D, and it's still fun. We are having a blast. Sure, the game slows down while we occasionally consult a book or debate a rule, but that isn't all bad. We are learning the rules like never before, and it's crazy fun to play with the volume cranked past eleven.

What is the most powerful D&D game you've ever been in?

Was it still reconizable as D&D?

How did the fun-ness of the super-powerful game compare to other levels of D&D?

Warren Okuma

First Post
Yup. RAW. When the Epic book just came out. We shook that system to it's core. And ended up at Level 50-57. Everybody got crazy creative. It was awesome.

21st level

Did it for a game or two then stopped. Creating NPC villians at that level was difficult at best. 4 hours to create. one bad roll of the dice to die.

Drowbane

First Post
I ran a short lived Epic Campaign back when the ELH came out. Party started at 21st and campaign petered out around 26th. It was pretty wild... but nothing like our current Planescape Campaign. We only cranked up to 10.5 :p

That old campaign died due to half of the group moving away starting with a good friend joining the Air Force.

Drowbane

First Post
TarionzCousin said:
...However, given our unique "everything in a book is allowed" uber min-maxed gestalt characters, the PC's are handling the "30th level" adventure from Dungeon Magazine #123 with only a few major setbacks....

To be fair, we have had 2.5 deaths already... and we actually had to rest for the first time since level 12.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Drowbane said:
To be fair, we have had 2.5 deaths already... and we actually had to rest for the first time since level 12.
:D Wow.

"Training time!? Dude, we haven't slept since 12th level."

Cheers, -- N

hopeless

Adventurer
Okay...

TarionzCousin said:
Our current Planescape game is the most powerful D&D game I've ever run or played in. We decided going in that we would play to at least "epic" levels--21+. However, given our unique "everything in a book is allowed" uber min-maxed gestalt characters, the PC's are handling the "30th level" adventure from Dungeon Magazine #123 with only a few major setbacks.
It's still undeniably D&D, and it's still fun. We are having a blast. Sure, the game slows down while we occasionally consult a book or debate a rule, but that isn't all bad. We are learning the rules like never before, and it's crazy fun to play with the volume cranked past eleven.
What is the most powerful D&D game you've ever been in?
Was it still reconizable as D&D?
How did the fun-ness of the super-powerful game compare to other levels of D&D?

In my case it was original d&d but I don't count it mostly because I was never able to play in a game properly after my mother and the mother of a friend who ran d&d fell out.

Properly my highest level character was in 3.0 and was technically tenth until he was assassinated in a church by an assassin posing as a cleric of Helm which was the first member of the clergy my character has met outside of Waterdeep for the entire length of the campaign I was playing in.

So no epic play here I'm afraid.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I played some D&D using the Immortals rules (where the characters are essentially gods). Not quite D&D-ish, but not that un-D&D-ish, either (presumably because we just went through the IM series of modules).

Aus_Snow

First Post
Apart from some very silly stuff with older games, years ago, there were the Fiend-hunters (avg. CL ~25) - not that that wasn't silly too, mind you. Many variant rules were used. Ahem, R.I.P.

I've never used the ELH as is, or the DMG 3.5 rules for epic as is. Or a combination of those, even. Neither has anyone I know IRL. They're. . . well, not so good, according to many gamers I've come across. Oh, and me too!

JRR_Talking

First Post
got a character from 1st - 27th in OD&D

MERP got a character from 1st to 120th level

AD&D got from 1/1 to 4/10 with half orc cleric assassin

mostly GMed 3/3.5 but have and eberron character get from 1st to 8th. Finding as an enjoyable game 3/3.5 fall apart at around 9th as it get so complicated to play.

I have played a lot

guess at least once (more like twice per week for the first 10 years) per week for 25 years adds up to a lot of hours n xp and treasure

Remove ads