• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most powerful non-magical class combo

robberbaron

First Post
Fighter/Rogue or Ranger/Rogue are both kickass but I'm currently having fun in WLD with a Fighter/Monk. Level 11, +17/+17/+17/+12/+7 doing 2d8+6, Crit 19, AC 28.

Warbringer

Explorer
20th level monk, vow of poverty, vow of non violence and the usual exalted goodies.

If you hit, with any of your 14 dervish attacks, gods help that weapon...

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I think Warblade/Factotem could be quite powerful. d12 HD, full BAB, 6 or 8+ int skills (forgot what factotem gets), at least 2 good saves, and my god, int ends up adding into almost everything! The vast array of maneuvers and stances combined with inspiration points and other stuff from factotem (like say, turning undead better than a paladin! which could also lead into some nice divine feats...).

I still think warblade/wizard or factotem/wizard is the most powerful gestault possible, because in D&D casters win, but if limiting yourself to non-casters, combining the ends of each still works nicely.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Warbringer said:
20th level monk, vow of poverty, vow of non violence and the usual exalted goodies.

If you hit, with any of your 14 dervish attacks, gods help that weapon...

Haven't you heard? In a game w/ standard treasure distribution, a monk is severely handicapped by VoP. Since, like all non-casters, equipment ends up being more important than the character's own abilities. I mean, I would NEVER want to play a melee class w/ no means of flight, ever. I suppose the party mage can cast fly on you, but he could also cast Mage Armor and greater Mighty Whallop on you to save feats and money, so that doesn't really count.

Granted, Dervish levels alone may off-set the VoP hit. I've seen one in play, it's that darned good (broken)!

Also, curious: why vow of non-violence? I remember that mainly for giving casters +4 save DC. What's it do so amazing for the monk? Or is it the fact that since the monk can do non-lethal at will already, there's no downside to taking it?

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
How about Barbarian/Scout? Charge in with Skirmish, then Rage. Grab Horizon Walker: Desert for no more fatigue, then you're a tireless raging skirmishing death machine.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
InVinoVeritas said:
How about Barbarian/Scout? Charge in with Skirmish, then Rage. Grab Horizon Walker: Desert for no more fatigue, then you're a tireless raging skirmishing death machine.

Complete Champion Introduced the Lion totem, which lets a Barbarian swap Fast Movement for Pounce. Using that with skirmish and rage would be quite effective. Nice idea on the Horizon Walker.

Xeriar

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:
Haven't you heard? In a game w/ standard treasure distribution, a monk is severely handicapped by VoP.

Had a VoP sorceress with Disjunction in a Gestalt game.

Evil thing being, she was a sylph, so with Archmage had a caster level in the low 30's at level 24. Exalted Arcanist and Dracolexi for yet more spells.

That doesn't begin to touch on how horrifically broken she was, she'd be balanced with only that. There was quite a bit wrong with that campaign...

Half Celestial VoP AoO monkey is also win.

Warbringer

Explorer
StreamOfTheSky said:
Also, curious: why vow of non-violence? I remember that mainly for giving casters +4 save DC. What's it do so amazing for the monk? Or is it the fact that since the monk can do non-lethal at will already, there's no downside to taking it?

A) no downside
B) pre-req for VoPeace (which is what I meant...oops)

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Barbarian/Rogue/Ranger/Fighter

Maximize all the benefits of each, get a sneak attack against a favored enemy during a rage, with Power Attack, or whatever...

Dave

Remove ads