(Mostly) Uncontroversial Quirks of 5E

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
This is the first time I've heard of this. But it just gives rise to the question, Why is the Barbarian its own class and not a subclass of Fighter? Its niche obviously isn't wide enough to support a whole class, as evidenced by the weak subclass offerings (weak from a conceptual, not power perspective).

The total barbarian package is both the base class plus the subclasses. Just because the base class has more of the focus (like it does for many of the other classes) doesn't mean that the whole class should have been reduced to a subclass and have most of it's uniqueness carved down to fit in a few subclass spots at a power level equal to the just some other subclass.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Would ANYONE object to changing the trident weapon to be a tad more interesting in some manner? I get that there would be debate about what that "interesting" thing should be, but I am curious if there is at least consensus that it would be acceptable to make it more interesting?

Last edited:

The binding on my PHB and MM has fallen apart. Quality control, WotC.

1)4) The poor binding quality on the early print runs of the books. PHB, MM, DMG.
Yes, I know I could've sent them in to Wizards. But I was in the middle of USING them, spreading the gospel of 5e.... Kinda hard to do when your the 5e DM & your lacking the DMG/MM

I had a 30 page section fall out of my DMG due to the known binding issue of early print runs. I filled out the replacement request, and they sent me a new one... and let me keep the damaged one. They turned a disappointed customer into a very happy one.

https://dnd-support.wizards.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000973626-5th-Edition-Product-Replacement

Here's their reply, which gave me a good chuckle...

[SECTION]We offer thanks to Oghma for your patience! We've reviewed the runic markings in your images and determined that they align with a specific binding glyph that's been deemed too unstable for our purposes. It's safe to say you can expect continued unraveling as arcane powers rejoin the ambient mana in the atmosphere.

Not to worry - I've gone ahead and set up a replacement order from our stock of properly warded and rune-bound tomes. It should be shipping out soon, so be on the look out over the next few weeks!

As the wards have already begun to fail, I fear shipping might sever the corporeal bonds holding the bound magic entirely. While normally our Order's archivists would request the pages be returned for safe decommission, in this case, we'd simply ask that you get what use you can out of them before they dematerialize entirely. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email, or give us a call during business hours. We'll be happy to help you out however we can.[/SECTION]

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Actually, I think it's too detailed. Right now there's just a few best weapons for any type of fighting, so everyone if forced to use of of those regardless of character concept. The armor table has the same thing.

The idea that every character concept that wants to do X is best served with a weapon with property Y really cuts down on variation and makes characters more same-ish.

I much prefer just some broad categories and the player can skin the weapon. So I might use a wooden stick studded with shark teeth (actual Polynesian weapon) while you use a kris-bladed sword. Or whatever.

I quite like that there are inferior options on the weapon and armor table. You'd find them among cultures that weren't as advanced as others.

I like when a Player needs to think about their character wearing plain old plate armor, or magical ringmail from a forgotten age.

Though I am a huge fan of reskinning too.

This is the first time I've heard of this. But it just gives rise to the question, Why is the Barbarian its own class and not a subclass of Fighter? Its niche obviously isn't wide enough to support a whole class, as evidenced by the weak subclass offerings (weak from a conceptual, not power perspective).

I think most of the barbarian subclasses would be a poor fit for fighter. Totem Warrior, Ancestral Guardians, and Storm Heralds all seem more like Melee focused druids or shaman, rather than fighter. Berserker and Battlerager could fit though.

As far as the name "Barbarian" goes I do think 5e having the Outlander Background to represent someone from a tribal culture was a big step in the right direction. Now my "Barbarians" can be Outlander fighters, rangers, rogues, druids, clerics, etc.

As such I do think the term Barbarian has lost some meaning.

Now it's someone who fights in an altered state that might be fueled by Anger, or Dead People, or Animal Spirits, or Elemental influence, or a Deity.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ok let’s test this one out. The hafling art for the race description (the bobble head looking one).

Does anyone like thst art piece?

Agreed!

470.jpg

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I quite like that there are inferior options on the weapon and armor table. You'd find them among cultures that weren't as advanced as others.

I like when a Player needs to think about their character wearing plain old plate armor, or magical ringmail from a forgotten age.

I'd love a set of templates for primitive, bronze-age, masterwork, and advanced technology weapons. That would be really cool. And also remove the need for "well, the only way I can use my cool trident-fighting mini is if I want to be worse off mechanically then someone who picks one of the 'right' weapons".

5ekyu

Hero

I think most of the barbarian subclasses would be a poor fit for fighter. Totem Warrior, Ancestral Guardians, and Storm Heralds all seem more like Melee focused druids or shaman, rather than fighter. Berserker and Battlerager could fit though.

As far as the name "Barbarian" goes I do think 5e having the Outlander Background to represent someone from a tribal culture was a big step in the right direction. Now my "Barbarians" can be Outlander fighters, rangers, rogues, druids, clerics, etc.

As such I do think the term Barbarian has lost some meaning.

Now it's someone who fights in an altered state that might be fueled by Anger, or Dead People, or Animal Spirits, or Elemental influence, or a Deity.
"I quite like that there are inferior options on the weapon and armor table. You'd find them among cultures that weren't as advanced as others.
I like when a Player needs to think about their character wearing plain old plate armor, or magical ringmail from a forgotten age
Though I am a huge fan of reskinning too."

I agree... having inferior weapons let's me also show lack of resources and organization. Disorganized bandits dont all get shortswords, rapier and otherwise equally effective weapons ...but some might get clubs, others daggers,

Also, love reskinning.

Remove ads