Motor oil protects against hobgoblins with battleaxes

Schmoe

Adventurer
Hobgoblins are traditionally spirits that cause troubles and misfortune, similar to gremlins. I've actually seen the word 'hobgoblin' used in another contemporary ad, but I can't remember which. The fact that Havoline decided to give the hobbos battleaxes, though, definitely takes it into a whole different realm!

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quasqueton

First Post
Aaaayeyeyey I just heard this commercial again, on a different radio station. But I still can't find anything about it on the Web.

Quasqueton

Stone Dog

Adventurer
Slife said:
In the Wizard of Oz, IIRC, hobgoblins were a somewhat larger, and non-evil subspecies of goblin.
Which is what they were back in the day too. Traditionally the 'hob' prefix means something like helpful or friendly. One derivation of hobnob is something like "friendly noble" as in somebody who is rich trying to associate with the lower classes.

Kwitchit

First Post
There's a pub called The Hobgoblin near where I used to live in London. I first learnt the word from the sign (a friendly-faced green goblin in a pointy black hat, holding a pint).

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Thaumaturge said:
There is a Havoline commercial with shields on YouTube, but alas no mention of goblins, hob or otherwise. The oil does dual wield shields; it seems to have improved shield bash and deflect arrows too.
I found that on the Havoline with Deposit Shield website too, bu it doesn't have the Hobgoblin one, yet.

http://www.texaco.com/yourcar/depositshield/

If it's really new then it likely won't find its way online right away.

Cheers!

KF72

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Anti-Sean said:
Strange, I haven't heard of D12 weight oil before. Seems like such a foolish consistency...
Oil is fairly critical to the operation of motor vehicles, so it's actually more like 3D12. Still a pretty foolish consistency though!

Remove ads