• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[MotW] WotC back to its old tricks

Grendel

First Post
Exerpt from Masters of the Wild.

The druid retains her own Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, level and classes, hit points (despite any change in her Constitution score), alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses. (New Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores may affect final attack and save bonuses.)

Of these, the black bear offers the highest Strength score and the leopard the highest AC. The wolverine's rage ability grants it the same Strength bonus as the black bear, plus a few additional hit points.

Crothian

First Post
Maybe's it's because of sitting in front of the computer all week, but I really don't see any signifigance in what you just posted. I assume youhavea point to make, could you spell it out for those, like me, who don't get it today. :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Oh, brother...

I think he's trying to point out a gaff in the rules. It says that, when wildshaping, a druid's hp doesn't increase because of a creature's increase in Con. But then it says that the wolverine can increase it's HP by increasing it's Con in a rage...

....meanwhile, the rest of us likely see no problem with it. The druid doesn't gain increased Con from her new form, but from a power of her new form -- the rage. She doesn't get extra HP for turning into a Wolverine, but she does get it when she uses the Rage ability.

Hoo boy....looks like someone is trying a bit hard to put down the product. :)

Grendel

First Post
let me explain s-l-o-w-l-y for those of you who missed it.

The druid get the STR, DEX, and CON of the new form. The druids hps do not change regardless of the new forms CON.

still with me.

RAGE increases STR and CON. The druid's hps are not dependant on the new forms CON. Therefore RAGE should not affect the druids hps.

If you think I misread something, please create a new poll and everyone can vote on my reading comprehension skills.

If you think I am wrong and the druid should recieve bonus hps, please explain why.

If you think consistancy (even when erronious) is a good thing, vote with your pocket book, and say nothing. Personally I expect more from Wizards, and while this wont prevent me from purchasing the product I want to vocalize my concern with their products, in the vain hope that they will someday improve.

Dingleberry

First Post
I think WOTC's intent is exactly as Kamikaze Midget explained: the wolverine form itself doesn't change the druid's Con score, but the rage ability does.

However, this makes me wonder: does the wolverine-form druid automatically rage after taking damage in combat, and can s/he end the rage voluntarily?

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
They finally fix wildshape to give extraordinary abilities, and as soon as they do, someone starts complaining about that, and that we all should help complain through our pocketbook :yawn:

Rav

Numion

First Post
What did you expect?

Every time WotC release a book, there's bound to be bitchin' about it. Grendel is just a bit early, going of with the preview...

omedon

First Post
I don't really see any problem with it. I agree with Kamikaze Midget. Perhaps it could be better explained to create less confusion, but it is pretty obvious, at least to me anyways. Your constitution doesn't change just because you are a wolverine, it only changes if you use the rage ability.

I hardly think one small problem such as this, even if it was really inconsistent is any reason not to buy a whole book.

I haven't seen it myself though, so I can't really judge it.

Crothian

First Post
It seems fine to me. When I read it I understood that the Wolverine special ability was increasing the HPs, not the change. Makes perfect sense to me and I don't think WotC is contridicting anything with this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads