• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mount for a non-evil Stone Giant Druid?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Giant SCARAB beetle. Mothra? Giant Bat?

Oooohh...imagine the bat-riding Druid preceeded by a flock of smaller bats...
[video=youtube;yLufIO5fZ6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLufIO5fZ6o[/video]

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
Dire Pegasus? Dire Hippogriff? Dire Griffin?

Dire is a template, after all, and can be applied to just about anything.

The description says that the Dire version is larger and meaner than normal. While a Dire Horse is in the same size category as the normal horse, there's no reason why a Dire Griffon/Hippogriff/Pegasus couldn't be Huge. While Pegasus will only serve Lawful Good masters (they're intelligent), the Griffin and Hippogriff don't have that issue.

Kaodi

Hero
Why would a Roc be too big? They are only Gargantuan, and it would probably be more realistic for a flying mount to be two size categories larger anyway.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Tho only reason I hesitate to use a roc is that the PCs have seen most of the castle of the giants, and they saw no sign of a stable. I can sort of say the stables were in the one lower area where the invisible skulking thief did not go, but a roc’s nest would have been hard to overlook. However, it could be separate from the castle, on another nearby peak. Hmmmm....

Richards

Legend
If you want a unique flying mount, you could try a trained yrthak. It's already Huge, it's straight from the Monster Manual and yet hardly ever used in most campaigns, plus its sonic attack can shatter stone - a useful ability for a stone giant who gets combat bonuses when hurling rocks at enemies. Plus its lair can be a self-created (sonic beam carved) cave in the side of a mountain near the castle in question.

Johnathan

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I'm trying to decide what (non-dragon) mount a Stone Giant Druid would ride... this is 3.5e, but I really just want a few suggestions from ANY source; I can mock up stats if I turn out to need them.

I thought of a roc, but that's really TOO big. And I really don't want to take 2-3 hours to browse through all my monster books!

So, what springs to your mind? Thanks!

A massive earth elemental that can hold the stone giant in an internal bubble and earth glide - effectively "flying" underground. (or a massive Xorn, or other Earth type creature, or even a purple worm with an enhanced burrow speed.)

Remove ads