• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Mounted and/or versatile and thrown traits

thuter

Explorer
I love the extended weapon traits in this system, it makes it that little bit more interesting to pick a certain weapon over another. Though I have some nitpicks with things like a warhammer having the breaker trait, while axes and picks have certain materials added to their traits (meaning a warhammer is just as effective at destroying trees and stones as an axe or war pick respectively), but I have some questions about the combination of Mounted and/or Versatile with the Thrown property.

The trident has the following weapon traits: Mounted (1d8/1d10), thrown (20/60), versatile (1d8). I can imagine the damage in the Mounted brackets are for one-handed or two-handed wielding respectively (as it is versatile d8, and mounted increases damage die). The question is: How does this work when the weapon is thrown?

Versatile: This weapon may be wielded with one or both hands. If wielded with both hands, it deals the damage listed in parentheses [d8].
Mounted: This weapon deals the damage listed in parentheses when you are wielding it while mounted [d8/d10].

1. Can versatile weapons be thrown 2-handed to increase the damage of a thrown trident from a d6 to a d8?
2. Do thrown mounted weapons still get the damage increase from d6 to a d8 when thrown while mounted?
3. Can a trident be thrown 2-handed while mounted to increase the damage die to a d10?

Assuming the answer to all these is 'yes', although it would look ridiculous in cinema, balance-wise this doesn't pose any problems in my opinion. I am however curious what is the intended interaction between these traits.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Interesting. The O5E version of Versatile specifies "when used to make a melee attack". LU does not.

Humans (and by extension humanoids) are just not built well for throwing things with two hands, unless using a long tool (like a lacrosse stick). We tend to get LESS accurate and throw with LESS force. (This is also true of the "Kirk Punch" - it would be worse than a normal punch, not better).

I'd be inclined to stick to O5E's version, myself. Mounted on the other hand, I'd be inclined to allow it. I can see how a competent rider can use a mount's momentum to fling an object with extra force. Not quite as much as they could in melee, but with practice, I can see it.

Remove ads