• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mounted Charge question...

Dwarmaj

First Post
Charge2.jpg

If "B" is a mage and "C" is an orc, could "A" (human on a horse with a lance) charge "B"?

From the SRD:
First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

Some of the guys I play with and I are trying to figure out if the charger has to go to the closest possible square or to the clostest square that he can attack from (possibly a slightly longer route).

If "A" had to travel to the "closest possible" square (yellow line), then he'd be blocked by "C" and unable to charge. If "A" is allowed to charge to the "closest square that he is able to attack from" (white line) then he could go to B,3 and make a charge attack.

Comments appreciated

Last edited:

Korak

First Post
Dwarmaj said:
Charge2.jpg

If "B" is a mage and "C" is an orc, could "A" (human on a horse with a lance) charge "B"?

From the SRD:

Some of the guys I play with and I are trying to figure out if the charger has to go to the closest possible square or to the clostest square that he can attack from (possibly a slightly longer route).

If "A" had to travel to the "closest possible" square (yellow line), then he'd be blocked by "C" and unable to charge. If "A" is allowed to charge to the "closest square that he is able to attack from" (white line) then he could go to B,3 and make a charge attack.

Comments appreciated

A cannot charge B unless A is at least 3 size categories larger than C. You can't separate "closest square that he is able to attack from" from the parenthetical that follows; "(If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.)" That statement clarifies the first bit to mean the closest square he would be able to attack from ignoring other creatures on the battlemat. Then another restriction is added to show that the path to the closest square must be clear. That is because a charge is supposed to be a direct frontal assault to the center of your enemy, no turns, no obstructions, no moving to one side of the target.

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Korak is correct.

It's a stupid rule. You should probably allow charging through friendly squares so as to make overrun make sense again - the errata on this nerfs overrun and is the supidest... errata... ever...

In every other instance you can go freely through friendly-occupied square.

You also need to modify the "closet square" charge rule for ride-by attacks or virtually no ride-by attacks are possible.

Last edited:

Korak

First Post
Artoomis said:
Korak is correct.

It's a stupid rule. You should probably allow charging through friendly squares so as to make overrun make sense again - the errata on this nerfs overrun and is the supidest... errata... ever...

In every other instance you can go freely through friendly-occupied square.

You also need to modify the "closet square" charge rule for ride-by attacks or virtually no ride-by attacks are possible.

Agreed. Ride by needs a bit of a rewrite. As it stands, it is very hard to set up a by-the-book legal ride by attack (still possible though).

Dwarmaj

First Post
I guess it just doesn't make sense to me that the charger can't choose the best path "for him". He's still making a forward charge toward his opponant and the path is clear. It also doesn't compramise Ride-by-Attack as the charger can keep going along the same path. As long as he has reach, the charger should be allowed to pick his path.

To me, the statement about moving to the closest spot was dealing with someone that was trying to move to a position to set up flanking or some other manuver.

I play a mounted combat character and it is hard to interpret the rules to which and how he can get off his swings while mounted.
I think mounted combat needs a bit of an overhaul. I think they haven't put much effort into it because it's not the norm.
I currently ride a half silver dragon wolf. I have the Wind Rider PRC and have given my mount fly by attack. So if my mount makes a fly by attack can I make a swing also when she closes in. what if I have the Ride by attack feat. What about vice versa, can the mount make a swipe when i'm doing a ride by attack. And if she can, does she use her primary attack (bite) hopefully getting off her free trip before I swing.
What about using some of the tricks in the ride skill to get cover. Can you ride by attack an opponent and then make a quick dismount (20 ride check) after you have completed the swing to land 10 feet from your enemy?

I guess for now it's at your dm's discretion.

Korak

First Post
Dwarmaj said:
I guess it just doesn't make sense to me that the charger can't choose the best path "for him". He's still making a forward charge toward his opponant and the path is clear. It also doesn't compramise Ride-by-Attack as the charger can keep going along the same path. As long as he has reach, the charger should be allowed to pick his path.

To me, the statement about moving to the closest spot was dealing with someone that was trying to move to a position to set up flanking or some other manuver.

Well, the bonuses imparted by charging are supposed to represent the attacker using his forward momentum to add speed and power to his attack in a headlong rush that compromises his defense. This forward momentum doesn't do the attacker much good if he has to run 5 or 10 feet to the left or right of his opponent and make a sideways or diagonal swipe/poke with his weapon. That is why charge is different from move and standard action attack.

I happen to like the 3.5 revision to charging rules. Just think more about what makes a charge mechanically different from a move and attack. I'll grant you that the situation is slightly different for mounted characters, but I am not overly disappointed since spirited charge/lance attacks seem to be one of the very few places where the designers forgot to trade in damage multipliers for additional damage dice. The last think I want to see in the game is more spirited charge, lance, rhinohide, ki critical, etc, etc, x8 charges with 4 for 1 power attack by holding the lance in two hands and having frenzied berserker levels, etc, etc.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Can you use any part of the square (like in the picture) in order to determine charge line ? I thought it was always from the front of the square.

JimAde

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
Can you use any part of the square (like in the picture) in order to determine charge line ? I thought it was always from the front of the square.
Actually, I think the rule says "any line" which means you have to check all four corners of your square. If any of them is affected, you can't charge.

I could be wrong, but that's what I get out of it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads