• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mounted Combat Questions

Bryan898

First Post
He is using his mount to attack, thus electing to duel as two on one combat. Hardly seems worthy of a Paladin that agreed to an honorable match.

The mount is part of the Paladin's abilities. If you were dueling a wizard that specialized in summoning would you expect him to not use him summoning spells because you would be outnumbered? It sounds to me that you problem is that you're outmatched ;) .

Showing up for a duel mounted seems kinda unfair, to say the least.

He didn't show up for the duel mounted. He showed up for the duel, then took an action to call his mount.

If said Paladin were fighting an evil opponent and cast the spell Holy Sword would you complain that its unfair because he brought a holy sword?

Plus, he is wanting the pillar to not affect his charge rout, agreeing that it provides cover, but that he can still charge. Seriously not seeing his logic there at all.

You're taking cover behind the pillar... but how much? If you're taking complete cover than your line of sight is blocked and you can't see him. If you're sticking halfway out looking at him I could see his reasoning. In real life, if the two of you could see each other (your standing at the edge of the column), he could probably charge you. He would be able to charge to any adjacent square and hit you, just as if he moved next to you he could still hit you. However, D&D is now a game of minis, so its not longer true. In order to charge he has to move to the nearest square from which he can attack you, which is occupied by the column. So the answer is that he can't charge you. BTW he also has cover against you from the column, so he also gains +4 to his AC against your ranged attacks.

Stalker0

Legend
I do agree that the Paladin's horse is fair and honorable, but I see nothing wrong with the goading either.

Depending on the paladin's personality, he may in fact feel a little sheepish at having a horse while his opponent (who is facing him bravely and honorably) does not. So the goad might work and the paladin may dismount. Or he may not. The fighter could certainly continue the goad though, and the dm may allow some morale penalty on the paladin to accont for the goads getting to him.

Or he might not, maybe the paladin doesn't care about the goads...but those are teh little things that make every combat different.

As for the mounting itself, the paladin could fast mount as the horse charges, then draw his weapon and attack. Its a little out there, but this is fantasy, that's the kind of stuff I want my characters to be able to do.

Finally, if you want tactics, use that pillar for everything its worth. Ready an action that as the paladin charges on one side of the pillar, you move to the other side. He has to charge in a straight line, so he can't hit you. You can rinse and repeat as needed, until the paladin has to change his tactics.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Again, thanks for the replies. I decided to fight fire with fire. It was ruled in the beginning of the combat, that all equipment on the character sheets was fair game. I agreed to let my riding dog sit this fight out. Then he brought out his mount....

So, readied action was to have a ranged attack once he was ten feet away from me. Ranged attack with a Tanglefoot bag. Now he is entangled, but not stuck....which brings me to my next action. He is trying to disarm me of all my weapons.... Which I would totally understand with his mentality. 5 attacks against the fighter per round now....two from the Paladin, three from the horse.

What are the rules for bringing a mounted combatant off his horse? I am about to use another tanglefoot bag and try to glue the horse to the floor....

Next option would be to move back around the pillar, granting total concealment. Then pull out another longbow, after he disarmed my previous one, and shoot at him while is is entangled. Wearing full plate armour, I can easily outrun him. But that horse is another thing to worry about....

Any ideas? Besides whistling and calling for my dog to even the odds...

Drakeskull

First Post
what all you got?

List the stuff that you can use like feats items what are your stats compared aswell? And as far as the whole horse thing went I belive that the horse pretty much becomes like a part of him it doesnt get its actions, on his round he can give it actions by moving and making ride checks to make it attack.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Drakeskull said:
I belive that the horse pretty much becomes like a part of him it doesnt get its actions
This is incorrect. The horse gets all its actions. It simply brings the rider along with him when he moves. In fact, the rider can even take a Move Action while the horse is moving, and still get his attack at the end of the horse's move.

Remove ads