• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mounts and combat

bobcat_grad

First Post
So, I have a question about characters on mounts. When a medium character is on a large mount, what space is the character in? I thought I read somewhere that the character can choose. But wouldn't that cause issues?

I ask primarily for how to handle malee attacks. If a monster is on the 'east' side of the mount, can the character claim to be on the west and therefore out of melee reach 1? Seems like the monster should be able to hit the character for any square adjacent to the mount.

chitzk0i

Explorer
You are considered to be in all of the mount's squares. So no, that trick would not work. For details, see page 46 of the DMG.

bobcat_grad

First Post
Do area and burst attacks attack both rider and mount? If so, if one becomes immobilized but not the other, how is that handled? Say the rider is immobilized, but the mount isn't? Does that mean the player can ise the mount to move but just can't get off? What about other effects?

Mahali

Explorer
Do area and burst attacks attack both rider and mount? If so, if one becomes immobilized but not the other, how is that handled? Say the rider is immobilized, but the mount isn't? Does that mean the player can ise the mount to move but just can't get off? What about other effects?

Yes. Since they're movement is linked, if one is immobilized so is the other. The rider could dismount from an immobilized mount. No. What other effects do you have questions about?

Turtlejay

First Post
I find attacking the mount itself as a good strategy anyway.

Good strategy, but it can lead to headaches. . .

Mounts don't have triggers to spend their own surges. They also only have 1 surge per tier. Mounts can't take the punishment that a character can. If you have a player who has made his mount a central part of his playstyle (mounted combat feat, magic items in the mount slot, etc) then removing that aspect of his character is a very large hit to his effectiveness, and likely his fun.

I'd like to see an expansion of the mount rules to address this loophole, but until then I think DM's should tread carefully here. Unless your campaign world is awash in new fantastical beasts to use as mounts for little or no cost. In that case, go crazy.

Jay

JiggleFloyd

First Post
You are considered to be in all of the mount's squares. So no, that trick would not work. For details, see page 46 of the DMG.

You are correct. And it also works for close or area attacks.

Mount and Rider: Targeting: Targeted attacks can target you or your mount, as the attacker chooses. A close attack or an area attack affects both you and your mount if its area includes either of you.

My question is: When is it ever important to determine your precise location within a mount's space?

Mount and Rider: Space: You and your mount occupy the mount’s space. If it is ever important to determine the precise location within the mount’s space that you occupy, you choose.

Remove ads