Mourning the loss of my familiar

farscapesg1

First Post
My question is why would a blue dragon eat a raven? That is like me eating a single slice of pizza from a big chain pizza place like Pizza Hut, Dominos, etc. In other words, a small piece of pizza. Heck, I'm not sure that it would even be considered a snack!

Were the characters around to let the dragon know that the raven was a familiar? Had the dragon seen the character talking to the raven? I'm sorry, but dragons don't generally just eat any little bird that comes along, at least not in my imagination of them ;)

This is why I no longer take familiars with my wizard/sorcerer characters. Too many DMs feel that they should be targets for creatures that would normally care less.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
There's nothing in the rules that can help you, Quemar, outside of the Obtain Familiar feat which was already mentioned. I also, were I your DM, would allow you to gain a new familiar. I'd probably House Rule the familiar-less time period to fall in line with the paladin's warhorse. i.e. one month or until you next level, whichever comes first.

I like to encourage wizards having familiars, not bar them from the game, but unfortunately your DM seems determined to rule otherwise. :(

seans23

First Post
Quemar said:
I hope that doesn't give away too much... I wasn't about to go back to see if I can find any feathers :(

Please try to avoid spoilers. There are several people on this board who are currently going through this campaign, and several more who would like to someday.

RuminDange

First Post
If by chance the DM allows spells out the Relics and Rituals book, you always use the Greater Familiar spell to get another one. Anyway just a thought.

I don't see the reason for the year and day thing myself since animal companions can be replaced with a 24 hour ritual, and paladins only have to wait a month or until their next level. Why are wizards and sorcerers punished for the loss of the familiar so strongly? It is a stupid guideline (rule to some) that should be ignored for the betterment of the game in my opinion, but each to their own.

Lucky, I’ve only seen one familiar bite it in my games and that was due to the player being careless. You don’t sit down in unknown woods alone to cast a 10-minute spell thinking that the large owl sitting in a low branch is enough to guard over you, needless to say one displacer beast got an easy lunch while two others decided to share the larger meal. The owl was resurrected later along with the player, after the other players came to the rescue, but killed him with an area effect spell in the process of killing the displacer beasts.

RD

Quemar

First Post
Thanks for all the replies.

To answer a few of the questions raised. The creature in question knew what the bird was, and felt distroying the familiar a proper demonstration. It was partly my fault that I let him scout that far, and I except that. I, in no way, am trying to shame my DM into reversing his ruling, and am prepared (and have been living with) to follow this ruling.

However, like I said earlier, I discovered the Tiny Viper could be more use then a target. So I thought that I would ask if there was a valid way to summon a new one. I'll have a look into the book mentioned, and see if that might work. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait.

Thanks again.

silentspace

First Post
You'd think the familiar would have left bits of feather or whatnot in your character's bag or something. Or your PC would've been smart enough to keep a feather, even if your character sheet didn't explicitly say so...

JoeBlank

Explorer
My 13th level gnome sorcerer, Ozlo Sullygrub, lost his familiar, a fox named Red, a couple sessions ago. Deciding what to do was difficult, but I did what felt most in character. Sully had Red raised, but he did not tell anyone. Not even his fellow party members (except for the cleric that raised the familiar). He then teleported to his home, telling the others that he was going to bury his lifelong companion. He left Red at home, keeping an eye on his home town and his family.

Sully had decided it was just too dangerous for Red to be running around with this particular group, given the dangers they were choosing to face (City of the Spider Queen plus some clean up work we failed to complete from Banewarrens).

So my sorcerer still has a familiar, but he keeps it a secret and does not benefit from him in regular game play. He is still able to scry Red on a daily basis, to be sure things are okay at home to let Red know he how he is doing.

You can read about it in greater detail (as if I have not rambled enough) in diaglo's story hour:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=22106

Remove ads