• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Move, how to increase,modify in ecvery way.

Eman Resu

First Post
I am interested in all the ways 3.0/3.5 can alter/influence your base move and/or temp bonus, skill,race,spells,class abilites,domains, conditions modifiers, feats. Any and everything thats infuences your move. What stacks together well? What "tricks" do you know of that influence move? What combo of feat/spell/race and class synergies the best. Please add to list Im interested in knowing all about move!

random questions
1st why is the Monk bonus to move counted as enchantment?
Does Barbarians +10' stack with the Scouts +10'?
Swiftblade prestige class gives ? bonuses to your move what does this stack with?
there is a domain called celerity that gives +10' and it says racial. I dont know if this would be counted as spell or racial ? stackable?
What races can a player pick that are faster?
Spells/feats/skills that influence move?

Celebrim

Legend
There are some 3.5 broken builds that depend on maximizing move, so most of this work has already been done somewhere. You might search for movement rate on some character optimization boards.

Sekhmet

First Post
Centaur with Horseshoes of Speed is 80'/round. Add in that PrC that can ride anything that gets to add the effects of Phantom Steed to anything, and you've got a pretty quick character there.

frankthedm

First Post
Centaur with Horseshoes of Speed is 80'/round.
Originally Posted by [MENTION=35909]StreamOfTheSky[/MENTION]

Actually, no. The horseshoes of speed only benefit an animal (and the Zephyr ones only a horse), and a centaur is not an animal. And I'd recommend keeping it that way.

...allowing centaurs to use those horse shoes, IME is a very bad decision.

I Agree with SotS.

Horseshoes of Speed
These iron shoes come in sets of four like ordinary horseshoes. When affixed to an animal’s hooves, they increase the animal’s base land speed by 30 feet; this counts as an enhancement bonus. As with other effects that increase speed, jumping distances increase proportionally. All four shoes must be worn by the same animal for the magic to be effective.

Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, haste; Price 3,000 gp; Weight 12 lb. (for four).

Sekhmet

First Post
Why is it such a bad idea? It's the only way a Centaur could keep up with a quickly moving party, does not give a Centaur any of the other benefits of a Haste spell, does not stack with Haste, and since Centaur have four hooves, all four shoes can be worn.
If you're suggesting Centaur shouldn't be shod, I'd like to direct you to any number of resources suggesting you should shod your horse.

Greenfield

Adventurer
The horseshoes don't say "horses only", but they do say Animal.

So the answer, of course, is to allow ordinary Boots of Striding and Springing to work/be fashioned for a Centaur.

As a note on the original post, I think the Monk's speed is an "enhancement" not an "enchantment", and it's done that way specifically to prevent the supersonic Monk with magic boots.

Generally speak, bonuses of the same type don't stack, so Longstrider, Expeditious Retreat, Boots of Striding and Springing and Monk's speed don't stack. All count as Enhancements.

Racial modifiers, however, will stack with Enhancements like the spells I just listed. Of course, it's hard to claim multiple Racial modifiers to anything, since you can only be one race at a time.

I ran a scene in a game where we were recreating Olympic events. Contestants were under 10th level (it was early in the campaign), and I plotted out who had the big advantage over the cross country distance. No magic items were legal, and spells were supposedly illegal as well. (Of course, what you can cast on yourself during the run is another matter.)

To my surprise the Feral Half-Ogre Barbarian (base move of 50) wasn't the clear cut winner. He's hell on wheels in the sprints, but over the long haul a leveled Ranger or Ranger/Barb combo is the winner. Woodland Stride eliminates a lot of rough terrain modifiers, and Longstrider makes up a lot of the base move difference. And the Endurance feat that Rangers get for free really came in handy. And, due to the limitations of actual running under the movement rules, the Run feat played almost no part at all. You can run (x4 move, or x5 with Run) for a minute or two at a time, after which you have to rest. Good for a final kick, but less than useful in the long distance. (Yeah, I know that a high Con can Run far/long enough that the delay from resting is overcome, but the rules say to treat run/walk as a Hustle when looking at overland movement.)

The point of that little interlude is this: Asking about tweaked movements is really asking two questions: Battlefield movement, or overland movement? Different situations call for different optimizations.

Eman Resu

First Post
Although unique, I dont think any player, will ever play a Centaur, nor would it be allowed. Lets concentrate on more common races, feats, classes, spells, items etc that influence your move speed.

races with 2 legs, which have more than 30' base move? Catfolk are they a 40' base?
which classes offer a bump in move?
I found no thread for "broken move"

Does Barbarian +10' stack with the Scouts fast movement?

So let me try another tactic. Lets have a build off! Who can build the fastest pc? Starting from 1st level and up.
Heres Bob Fellfoot, the multiclasses & multi talented speedster
1 Barbarian, +10' move
2 Cleric with Celerity domain = + 10' to racial base movement
3 Psion with speed of thought adds +10', must have focus
4 Sorcerer w/ expeditious retreat, temp enchantment bonus of +30
apparently theres something called Feral sounds like a racial so another +10'

base move 30'+barb10'+feral10'+celerity domain10'+spdothought10'+expret+30 = 100'
thats a 70' with focus, 60' without, and a temp 100' max with exp ret. Is this broken yet? Its the best I can do. And Bob Fellfoot had better be fast because he's gonna get his butt WHOOPED! if he stands still to long. I would of added Scout class but I think I read that, like the Monk, was a enchantment bonus.

Where is *Feral* found? and/or if you could post it here?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads