• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Move Silently

AbeTheGnome

First Post
You can move up to one-half your normal speed at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your full speed, you take a -5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (-20 penalty) to move silently while running or charging.
So what's the penalty while moving at your full normal speed, but not running?

AbeTheGnome

First Post
Anyone else want to bite on this? I can't believe it's not in the RAW, at least not that I can find. It shoud be right there in the skill description.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
frankthedm said:
what is wrong with -15?

Well, it would be one reasonable penalty, but it doesn't seem to follow with the progression:

One-half your normal speed: 0
Three-Quarters Speed: -5
Full Speed: ?
Double Full Speed+: -20

-10 would make for a nice doubling progression of penalties.

javcs

First Post
Reading the DMGII, I found in the teamwork benefits section:
"Your team can move at full speed without taking a -5 penalty on Hide and Move Silently checks."
It's from page 192, Infiltration sub-section, at the top of the right hand column .

What the ... ?

starwed

First Post
It should read "When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than or equal to your full speed, you take a -5 penalty."

Because otherwise, you could just move a tiny, tiny bit below your full speed and be still at the -5 penalty, which has exactly the same effect.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads