• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movement types

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Are there ways for a charater to get Climb and Swim speeds (Burrow speeds?) other than through magical shapechanging? I'm thining of the +8 bonus, with the ability always to take 10. Obviously aquatic races can swim, but are movement types like this ever given as a class feature? I know there are some templates with these things.

Would this be unbalancing?

Thanks.

Corlon

First Post
Flight always has an ECL with it I believe, but if climbing or swimming is their main shtick it isn't overbalancing (check various aquatic races and those monkey people from Oriental Adventures). I'm not sure about burrowing speed, but I'd assume it'd be the same sort of thing..hmm...this makes me wonder why there isn't a "dig" skill.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks. I'm thinking more in terms of class features rather than racial abilities. Has this ever been done?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I created a PrC Whale Rider who at the end of 10 levels becomes Amphibious (the main progression before that is basically about improved swimming ability, water breathing and communication with sea creatures)

I might be hesitant about swim and would require really high prereqs if I even allowed fly and burrow but overall I see no reason why Climb speed couldn't be acquired as a feat

Remove ads